Chapter 3

Jamie's heart was beating so fast she felt like it was about to explode as she sat in a seat opposite the, assumed, manager.

   "Hello," the man paused as he waited for a name.

   "Oh, uh. Jamie," she said nervously, a small forced laugh escaping her lips.

   "I can tell your nervous. Need a drink?" The man lifted a pitcher of ice water and a glass from somewhere behind his desk.

   "Uh, yeah sure. Maybe a small glass," Jamie smiled hesitantly.

   The man filled the glass about halfway and handed it to her. She took it gratefully, taking a sip of the cool water.

   "Now, allow me to introduce myself. I am James Porter. You can call me Mr. Porters you'd like," the man started once Jamie had placed her glass down on the desk, "you are here for the open position, correct?"

   "Yes sir," Jamie said, placing her hands on her lap and crossing her legs so that she may have an air of maturity to cover her nerves.

   "Good, good. This bookstore, though a simple place, didn't get to where it is today without some hard work. You are prepared to work hard, yes?" Porter asked. It was a simple question but Jamie struggled to answer.

"Uh, well. I'm mean," she paused, "of course. I wouldn't be looking for a job if I wasn't willing to work."

"Yes, of course," Porter chuckled softly at her reply, "may I ask you a bit more of a personal question?"

    "Yeah sure I guess," Jamie was now somewhat confused but just went along with it.

   "Do you consider yourself," He paused, his forehead crinkled as he though of the right words to say, "special?"

   "What do you mean by that?" she cocked an eyebrow suspiciously.

   "I've never been good at explaining this even after two years," he replied more to himself then to Jamie, "here take this." He slid a tablet across the table, "turn it on."

   Jamie took it slowly, looking at Porter suspiciously. She pressed the power button and waited for it to turn on. Nothing happened. She pressed it a second time and, once again, nothing happened.

   "Umm," she held it out to Porter to take back.

   "Oh, looks like I forgot to charge it. How stupid of me," Porter stated, a small grin forming on his face, "would you mind charging it?"

   There was a silent pause.

   "Uh, yeah sure I guess. Where is the charger?" Jamie said hesitantly, rising slowly from her chair.

   "Oh, no, you don't need a charger. Just do that little thing you do with your hand. You know, the zzttt thing." Porter leaned over the desk, allowing his chin to rest on his hands.

   "What?" Jamie's eyes grew wide, practically bulging out of her head.

   No one knew of her abilities. She hardly ever used them so how could anyone know? She didn't even know this guy. It's Not Possible!

   "You don't have to play that little game with me. I already know about your powers. In fact they are probably the coolest powers I've seen yet in this town. Well maybe except for fire, that's always cool," Porter drifted off into his own thoughts for a moment before returning to reality, "anyways back to what I was saying. Yes I do know that you are, how should I say this, genetically enhanced. How I know, I will tell you at a later date. For right now your hired. Be here at 9 Monday to start training.