Chapter 1

The sun shown brightly in the near cloudless blue sky early in the afternoon.

Laying in the green grass soaking up its warm rays sat a young pale skinned, brown haired girl. She was no older then 18 or 19 and her eyes were a sharp and stunning blue.

She watched the clouds roll by and smiled to herself.

Then suddenly everything grew dark the grass around her shriveled and died. The once bright and cloudless sky became filled with dark ominous shadows cracking with lightning and booming thunder.

The girl jumped to her feet, her heart beat steadily rising. She looked around her as the world seemed to grow smaller and cave in on her.

Then suddenly...

"Gah!" The girl jolted up.

  She looked around to see she was in her bedroom, sweat beading down her forehead. Her breath was heavy as she checked herself for injuries.

  "It must have been a dream," She said quietly to herself, wiping a bead sweat from her brow.

She looked to her left where a digital clock sat. On it in large red numbers it read 9:30 am

  "At least I didn't sleep until noon," the girl commented to herself.

  She pulled the covers away from herself and threw her legs over the side of the bed, pausing for a moment to reflect on this choice she was about to make.

  Leave bed and then be forced to start the day and be productive. Or stay in bed and watch some YouTube for another hour or so.

  She reluctantly forced herself out of bed when she heard her name being called from the living room. She slowly walked to her closet where her bath robe hung and wrapped it snugly around her cold shoulders.

  "JAMIE!" The girl's mom called her name, "you are not going to sleep the day away! I don't care if it's a weekend!"

   Jamie, upon hearing her name for a second time, quickened her pace and started to make her way into the living room where her brother, dad, and mom were already seated.

  Jordan, Jamie's brother, sat smirking on the couch. He was fully dressed, showered, and ready for the day and she wasn't. He knew he was in his parents favor and he was letting Jamie know it too.

Jamie rolled her eyes and ignored her annoying younger sibling.

   She walked calmly into the kitchen, where she grabbed a quick glass of water and placed two halves of a bagel in the toaster.

   "So..." Jamie's Dad spoke suddenly, looking at Jamie with eyes as intensely blue as her own, "How's the job search going?"

   Jamie, who had her face stuck in the refrigerator safely hidden from view, rolled her eyes at the question.

  "It's. Going," She paused between each word hesitantly.

  "Where have you applied?" Her mom asked sharply.

  Clearly she wasn't in the best of moods this morning.

  "Um," Jamie hesitated, choosing her next words carefully, "the restaurant in town and that little book store over by the school."

  "Hmmm," Jamie's mother looked at her suspiciously, searching her eyes for any tells that she may be lying, "well I'm sure you'll get one of them. I hope it's soon. Your 19 now and it's time to put on your big girl panties and make a place for yourself out there."

  Jordan snickered at his mom's analogy while Jamie gave him an angry look.

  "I know mom you've told me that a hundred times," Jamie said softly yet with annoyed conviction.