Prologue

To that clumsy boy I met when I was seven,

I don't know why I keep doing this; by now, I'm pretty sure my letters never reached you. But I still feel like fulfilling this childhood promise to write whenever I can.

For years, writing to you has turned into a wonderful way of preserving the best days of my childhood--sorry if I can't seem to let that go. And for some strange reason, I feel like someday, these letters would be finally read. There's still this burning hope in me that you'll get to read them, and that you'd somehow remember me.

Which brings us to today.

I've finally decided to fulfill my dreams.

I remember you, as a gangly kid, telling me how we shouldn't box ourselves into our parents' expectations. You were merely ten years old, yet you talked as if you were in your thirties--you were definitely wise beyond your years.

And cliche as it may sounds, it was your voice which rang inside my head as I filled up my application form for my scholarship abroad. And it was your voice I remembered when I opened my acceptance letter.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...thank you. So many years have gone by, and yet you still give me the determination I lacked.

You told me making our dreams come true takes time. You're right, like you always were. It'll take a while, but I'll be back.

Goodbye for now,
Menggay