Chapter 16.1

A/N: Eto na, thanks for literally waiting for it. Sorrry na, hirap putulin ang chapters without affecting the whole vibe of the story. I'm trying to write stuff in advance because I have sh*tload of things to do for work for the next couple of weeks. But as always, I'll try to sneak in a couple of paragraphs here and there.

We are nearing the moment you guys have all been waiting for and I'm always grateful for the enthusiasm you beautiful, amazing readers have shown and are showing for Letters. Sana po hindi kayo magsawa. Thank you <3

*********

Richard hears his phone buzz as he was straightening his tie in front of the mirror. He was quite anxious, he had his morning jam-packed with meetings, he had a working lunch meeting with Jose. Oh and I'm going to meet my best friend who I haven't seen in years.

And just my luck, it's raining. Today out of all the days.

The thought of seeing Menggay absolutely excited him, but he would be lying if he said he wasn't even a little nervous. Fourteen years is a long time.

He reaches for his phone and opens a message from Maine.

"Good morning, Richard. I won't be able to meet you at the lobby cafe this afternoon. I have a couple of errands in the morning then I'm going to meet one of my friends near the area. I haven't seen him in a while, baka magtagal kami. But maybe we can have dinner, if time permits? Basta, I'll let you know. Hope you have a good day!"

Him? Him talaga?

Sino ba yun?

He wonders as he plops back down unto his bed, ruffling his hair in slight annoyance. But he shakes it off--since he has met Maine, she never once told her about any of her friends, neither has she met any one of them since she came back from studying abroad. She has been spending most of her time inside Le Chateau, with him.

Richard shrugs off the negativity and types in a reply, telling her to have a great time with her friend today.

********

At around half past two in the afternoon, Richard was rushing back to his office at the penthouse of Le Chateau, with Jose trailing behind him, slightly panting.

"Sir Rj naman, respeto naman sa hingal ko. Bakit ba kayo nagmamadali?"

"Sorry Kuya Jose, pero kasi today's the day!"

"Anong today's the day? Tatanungin mo na ba si Miss Maine if pwede ka manligaw sa kanya? Oh baka naman boyfriend agad ang gusto niyo, Sir?" Jose sits on one of the couches across Richard's desk, lifting his legs and resting them on the coffee table in front of him. "Nako Sir, hindi pwede yan. Mukhang conservative pa rin si Miss Maine kahit na nagaral sya sa ibang bansa. Ligaw muna, Sir. Nako, lagot ka rin kay Ma'am Rio kapag ganyan ang style mo. Nako, nako."Jose shakes his head in disapproval.

Richard removes his coat and loosens his tie, rolling his eyes at Jose, "Yan ka na naman Kuya eh, ang dami dami niyong sinabi. Masyado kayong advanced, but yes, I'll eventually ask Maine if I can court her. But that isn't exactly what I'm excited about today."

Jose sat up right and watched this young man in front of him fidget, watched him anxiously check his reflection by the mirror at the far end of the room. "Eh if it isn't about Miss Maine, what are you so anxious about, Sir Rj."

Richard finally faces him, a boyish smile now plastered on his face, "Makikita ko na ulit si Menggay today."

"Ay jusko tong batang to! Hindi mo naman agad sinabi!" Jose stands up, and starts pacing, "Sir Rj! Yan na ba ung suot mo? Ayaw mo magpalit? Nasan na yung mga bulaklak? Don't tell me wala kang biniling flowers para kay Menggay!" Jose looks at him, his face slightly panic-stricken.

Richard just had to laugh out loud at the old man's antics, "Kuya naman, ang dami mo na namang sinabi." He walks over to Jose and drapes his arm around the latter's shoulders, "No need to change, no need for flowers. It's just Tisoy meeting Menggay again, two old friends, getting back together."

He's surprised at his own choice of words, because they perfectly describe their situation--they were two old friends who had to grow up apart, and today's some sort of homecoming.

******

He stepped out of Le Chateau's veranda quite exhilarated. He was slightly bothered waking up this morning, hearing the pitter-patter of raindrops against his window.

But now the rain came to a sudden stop, the ground was starting to dry up, and the pavement leading to the green house was clear of mud and grass. There weren't too many people rushing around the garden, some children were running around the fountain, their laughter ringing wonderfully for him to hear. The sun was shining brightly, the wind lightly blowing, the clouds perfectly blending with the clear blue skies above.

It was slowly starting to be such a perfect day.

He walks slowly but purposefully towards the greenhouse, half excited, half nervous. He sees it from afar now, construction and design almost done. But with the help of Jose, he made sure that at least today, no one else was going to be near its premises.

Only Menggay.

Richard notices the door to the greenhouse slightly ajar and his heart starts beating erratically against his chest.

He walks quietly and his hand reaches over the knob.

And then he sees her.

She was standing in the middle of the greenhouse and had her back turned against him, in a bright yellow dress.

Just like the first time we met.

He found himself smiling, tears starting to pool around his eyes. It seemed that she turned out to be a wonderful lady--as I always knew she would be.

But time seemed to suddenly stop. His breath hitched as he watched her dress slightly sway as she moved. He had no idea why his heartbeat seemed to refuse to remain calm--it was as if all he could hear was it beating against chest. Why am I so nervous?

Richard felt goosebumps appear all over his arms as she craned her head slightly to the side, revealing half of her face.

His eyes widen, and he tries not to gasp out loud as he held on to the doorknob tighter to support himself.

A small smile formed on his face as he stared at her beautiful smiling face, as she saw her design for the greenhouse slowly coming to life. Her eyes were shinning too.

He realizes that there are no such things as accidents--ice cream cones and cups of coffee don't just spill. There are things which are made to happen, no matter how long it took, no matter how detours were made. He learns how cliches can make up our lives--because now he truly believes that there are just some people you're supposed to meet again.

He lets go of the doorknob and places his hands against his chest, right above his heart--as if telling that old thing to calm down. But it just wouldn't. Because right in front of him was the person he had been longing for and the woman he has fallen in love with.

I can't possibly fall in love with you more than I do now, Nicomaine, my Menggay.

Richard's black polished shoes still slightly sunk in the grass softened by the rain this morning. The grass was still a little wet, his shoes were a mess. But now the sun is shining, and the sky's a wonderful shade of blue.

It was indeed a perfect day.