Chapter 7

Chapter 7

(2017-Present Day)

Maine was ecstatic as she turned the corner to Spring Street—only a couple of meters more to go before she arrives at Le Chateau. It has been more than a year since the last time she came, and this time, she would be staying longer.

Two years ago, Nicomaine finally pursued her dream and applied for a scholarship abroad. She's almost at the end of her program, and the only thing standing in her way was her final thesis—a little over half a year more, and she'll finally be an architect.

More than a month ago, their department head advised them of the requirements for their final project before they graduate. They were advised to design any structure. Absolutely anything. Her colleagues found it particularly challenging—it wasn't easy to impress anyone while completely lacking in direction. But Nicomaine new right away what she wanted to design, she wanted to design a place that could compare to Le Chateau, something as aesthetically beautiful, something as warm and as special.

What better place to get inspiration from but here?

She instantly smiles as she goes through the hotel's revolving front doors, feeling like she was seven years old again. Her eyes scan the hotel lobby and is reminded why she chose Le Chateau in the first place. She spots the familiar mahogany walls, lined in gold, the elegant marble floors, the floor length windows, the chandeliers elegantly shinning above her.

She knew hotels were supposed to feel somewhat foreign to its guests—they're just places where people would stay because home is just too far away. But to Nicomaine, there was just something so warm and welcoming about this place.

Maybe its how the mahogany walls make the place homier. Maybe it's the lighting, the chandeliers' yellow light warming up the façade. Whatever it was, Nicomaine was determined to recreate it.

She may have chosen Le Chateau as her inspiration for selfish reasons, but for Nicomaine, there was no better place.

She set her cup of coffee slowly on the marble table at the foyer and closed her eyes, with her grin wide, she relished in the familiarity, "Finally, I'm home."

****

"Here's your key card, Ms. Mendoza. This will be good for your entire month's stay here at Le Chateau."

The receptionist handed her a black key card. "Room 716?" Maine reads aloud, "So this will be my room for the whole month right? I won't have to transfer rooms for the duration of my stay?"

"Yes Ma'am. As you requested."

Maine nods in agreement as she sipped on her cup of joe, "Just making sure. Thank you for your assistance."

"It's our pleasure Ms. Mendoza, if you need anything, do not hesitate to give us a call. I hope you enjoy your stay here at Le Chateau."

"I always do." Maine replies and starts to grab her handbag, balancing her cup while grabbing her workbag—all bulky and huge. She starts walking towards the west wing, the golden letterbox shimmering from quite a distance as she attempts to flip over her key card to read which wing her suite was located. Why did she have so much hand-carry luggage anyway?

"Ms. Mendoza!" The receptionist calls out to her, "Your suite is found at the East Wing of the Hotel."

"Oh right. Thank you!" Maine turns to look at the receptionist with a smile. She looks back at the letterbox forlornly from a distance. I guess I'll have to drop off my letter later. Mamaya ka na lang Tisoy. Ang dami kong dala masyado.