one

IT HAD BEEN about five months since Erica Reyes had taken her own life, on April 22nd, 2016.

And now, it was the beginning of a new school year for the gang.

They were all sophmores—except for one.

Malia Reyes.

She was a freshman, but since she was a genius, she had multiple classes at the sophmore level.

She was nervous.

Back at JQA, nobody really knew her sister, so nobody really knew what she had done.

But here?

Here everyone knew.

She didn't want to receive pitiful looks in the hallway, she just wanted to be a normal high school student.

But all of that dropped dead the exact moment Erica did.

Malia hadn't even realized she was crying until she felt the tears roll down her cheeks.

"Mal!" Her brother Farkle yelled from downstairs. "Let's go! We're gonna be late!"

Malia quickly wiped her eyes and hopped into the car with Farkle.

"You excited?" Farkle asked.

"For everyone to whisper about me being the dead girl's sister?" Malia asked. "Not necessarily."

"Malia," Farkle said in a low tone. "I'm sure people will see you for you, and not Erica."

Malia smiled at Farkle. "Thanks, Sparkles."

AS MALIA WALKED through the halls of Abigail Adams High School, Lucas took a double take.

He had sworn he saw the girl he was still in love with, but when he looked again, he saw Malia.

"Hey, Mal!" Lucas said, shaking off the chills that had come over him just moments earlier.

"Oh, hey Lucas." Malia said. "Can you tell me where Mr. Matthews' room is?"

"You're in his class?" Lucas asked. "But I'm in his class."

"Yeah, I take advanced history." Malia said, playfully flipping her hair.

"Wow." Lucas said, smiling at the girl in front of him. "That's so cool."

Brandon and Maya watched Lucas and Malia's interaction from afar. "This is crazy." Brandon said.

"What's crazy?" Maya asked.

"Lucas is flirting with Malia." Brandon observed.

"Huh." Maya said. "Do you think it's because she looks like Erica?"

"I think you might be on to something." Brandon said, smirking proudly at the blonde girl next to him.