Chapter 1

Dakota stretched and yawned he listened to Sarah's mom in the kitchen yelling at the cat. To Dakota cats were not people's best friend's, dogs were. Dakota licked Sarah and Sarah groaned she hated to go to school. Dakota knew licking Sarah that day would not wake her up so Dakota went to grab his leash and went back to Sarah's bedroom and dropped it by her head. Okay Dakota I will walk you around the front yard. Sarah grumbled and walked out of her room and put Dakota's leash on his collar. Mom I am going to bring Dakota outside. Okay Sarah. Sarah walked out of the house and the cool summer air felt nice on her skin. She walked Dakota around the front yard. Dakota walked and sniffed the front yard's tree and it smelled like another dog that was quiet new so Dakota marked his boundaries again and walked to where Sarah was sitting on the front porch. Dakota I love you. Dakota nudged Sarah and wished he could say to her I love you too but he could not. Because Dakota was a dog an Alaskan malamute to be exact. Dakota was on guard Sarah and her mom and dad just moved into a new house closer to Sarah's school and her dad's new job at a bus company. Come on Dakota before the neighbor comes out of his house. Dakota never understood humans. Definitely now that Sarah's family moved and lived right beside this one person's house. Autumn was even worst when she came over. Sarah and her would run into Sarah's room and slammed the door after Dakota got in the room and went to the window and stared into the neighbor's yard. Dakota once jumped up to the window edge to see what they were looking at and it was just the neighbor. But when the neighbor was not outside and Autumn was there they talked and talked about some guys at school and how weird and crazy they were or cute but when the neighbor was outside they whispered to each other and they started to giggle if the neighbor looked up at the window they both would duck and start laughing their heads off. Dakota thought that was silly so once Dakota barked when Autumn and Sarah were staring at the neighbor and Sarah kicked Dakota out of the room. Dakota loved it when the neighbor was out eating a sandwich on the weekend because Dakota would run out of the doggie door and open the gate and run to the neighbor. The neighbor was nice but his sister not so much she screamed when Dakota came to the house and Dakota would sink away back to the house. Dakota sniffed to see if the neighbor had any food now but not this time so Dakota walked really slowly back inside with Sarah. Hey, it is almost summer like tomorrow is the last day of school. Sarah's dad was sitting in a kitchen chair getting coffee ready. Dakota knew Sarah was nervous he could feel it. Sarah rushed up the stairs and got dressed. Then went back downstairs to have breakfast. Dakota sat patiently for food to be given to him. He got a crumb or two but not what he wanted so he went to his food bowl and barked. Oh sorry Dakota I forgot to feed you. The smell of dog food lingered and finally was sat down on the ground so Dakota could eat. Dakota ate every bite and heard Sarah yell to her mom where is my lunch pail? Here it is. Thanks. Dakota ran to Sarah and Sarah bent down to Dakota and kissed him on the head. Bye Dakota see you after school. Dakota whined as Sarah was walking away from him. Dakota started to bark and whine and ran to the gate but he lost his owner. His girl that he is meant to be watched by him. But Dakota sighed he knew she was going to be back by 3:30 so he curled up in the sun and fell asleep. Dakota awoke and he sighed he went inside and took a long drink from his water dish but he felt alone. The cat was cleaning herself on the chair but it was not fun chasing the cat. Dakota heard the neighbor's voice. He heard before that Sarah called him Michael but Dakota just thought neighbor was just fine. Dakota ran out and jumped up on the gate and opened the gate knowing if the neighbor was home Sarah and Autumn would be home any minute. Hey Dakota. Dakota looked at him like where is my owner. You know Dakota Sarah is going to Autumn's house today. I guess it is just you and me right know Dakota. You want a treat. Treat one way or another was to Dakota food.