Chapter 6

Dakota awoke and heard the front door open Autumn ran up to Sarah. He almost kissed me! What really but why didn't he? His sister said he had to walk the dog right then and there. That sucks. I think we were on a date. How do you know? He was wearing a dress shirt and dress pants. Really? Yeah. Oh my goodness. Dakota walked to Sarah's bedroom after Sarah went to bed and Dakota fell asleep outside the door. The summer flew past Dakota got walked a lot more and saw Michael's dog everyday Dakota never saw Autumn much but when she did she talked about the neighbor and how they went to the dog park. Dakota wished they took him too. Sometimes Sarah went with Autumn and Michael to the dog park and left him there all alone. Michael's sister started to be his only friend and she warmed up to him pretty quickly but even if Michael's sister walked him, brushed him and loved him it was not his girl Sarah was and Dakota will never forget that. Soon it was the last day of summer and Autumn never kissed Michael yet. The doorbell rang Sarah and her parents were having the last day of summer BBQ Michael was there with Rose that was five months old now and Dakota loved to play with that little pup. People laughed and hugged each other when they saw each other. Autumn was the last person that came to the party and when she got outside and Michael waved his hand to say like I saved you a seat right beside me. Autumn went by him. Dakota sighed his girl never loved him it felt like she was always listening to music of talking on a phone why not talk to your dog. Dog's understand way better than humans do Dakota thought every time Sarah was on the phone. Dakota was two now that day. He was two and he sighed he missed the old times when he was a pup but he knew he was not a pup any more but a dog. Dakota walked over to Michael's sister maybe she will feed him haft of her hamburger if he was lucky. Hi Dakota. You want this? Dakota barked that is really mean yes I want it. Okay catch. Dakota caught the hamburger and went into the corner of the back yard to eat. Dakota knew the next day it would be school for Sarah again and Dakota being alone again Dakota knew it because the backpack was out ready at the front door. People laughed at the party and the dogs ran around. Dakota never felt like running like other dogs he was sad school was starting up again. Mom is something wrong with Dakota. I don't know he has been lying here all day seems sad he will perk up don't you worry. Dakota spotted Michael and Autumn and they were laughing their heads off at a bench. Dakota saw Michael's arm around Autumn and Dakota jumped up on his feet and ran over to them. Hey Dakota. Dakota barked a bark he never thought he had in him. The party fell silent. What is wrong Dakota? Michael walked up to were Dakota walked too. What is going on with you today? Dakota barked again at Michael. Sarah's mom yelled at Sarah to put Dakota inside now! Sarah grabbed Dakota's collar and put him in the house locked the doggie door and closed the door behind her. Dakota sighed before when he barked at Michael he got a treat and praise when he was around that was his game with him but I guess that summer everyone changed. Dakota howled in the house the cat looked at him but Dakota was lonely. So lonely after a while Dakota fell asleep but when the back door opened Dakota was up and ready for who it was. It was just Sarah yelling at him. Dakota sighed and went quiet and thought maybe Michael will walk inside and walk him. Dakota scratched at the door. Finally Michael walked into the house and said to Dakota. Do you want a walk? Dakota ran to were his leash was and came back to where Michael was. okay. Dakota kept barking at Michael and Michael kept praising Dakota. For once finally something in his life made sense. Michael put Dakota's leash on. Dakota wagged his tail like crazy. Hey Sarah can I walk Dakota for you? Yeah sure. Autumn want to walk Rose for me? Yeah sure. Meet me at the dog park then. Okay. Michael walked out of the backyard then started to run with Dakota. Dakota missed this. Michael went to his house to get a Frisbee for Dakota and then started to run. Dakota panted but happy for the run. They got to the dog park Michael sat down at a bench to catch his breath. He got bottle water from his house and he drank almost all of it and gave Dakota the rest. High school tomorrow Dakota. Dakota barked. Yeah school Dakota I am going to miss these runs Dakota maybe in the evening you and me Dakota could run to the dog park what do you say? Dakota barked in agreement. Okay. Hey Michael did you run here. Yeah I run every morning in the summer but now it will be the evening till it starts snowing. Oh. Let's bring these dogs to the dog park yeah sure. Dakota took off with Michael's dog at the dog park. Dogs they are so goofy yeah. The sun was setting the dogs running at the dog park. Michael leaned in to kiss Autumn. Both of their hearts were racing. But Michael was ready for his first kiss. At first Autumn was taken back. With the surprise kiss but she was happy. Michael kissed Autumn and Autumn thought the best end of summer. The kiss was a perfect first kiss and it was from someone she wanted it from. Michael smiled nervously at Autumn. Come on let's walk these dogs back. Okay. Dakota come here. Dakota barked and ran to Michael. Good dog. Michael clipped Dakota's leash back on and said to Autumn what way are you heading back? The short way you. Through the forest. Okay see you back at the party. Yeah. Michael and Dakota started to run beating down the earth with every step. The long way back went through the forest path and around a new bakery that was just built. They got back at the party when the sun was almost gone and the stars were almost shinning down. Dakota barked at Michael and Michael bent down to Dakota's level and hugged the big powerful dog. I love you Dakota even if you are not my dog. Dakota licked his ear and Michael started to laugh. Here Sarah is your dog back. Okay thanks Michael. Do you want me to walk Dakota every day after school? Yeah sure. Dakota needs a walk everyday yeah and if you are ever away on a trip I can take care of Dakota. Yeah speaking of Dakota. Christmas break my family is going down to Nova Scotia and we need someone to watch the cat and Dakota. Okay sure. Thanks Michael. Rose come here. The little pup ran to Michael and Michael and Rose left. Dakota went inside and flopped down on his dog bed to sleep Dakota never even heard Sarah go to bed.