part II

Hello Hell Bound

The stranger at my locker seemed to real, to colorful, to eye catching. His blond hair seemed almost yellow, like it was colored in with a crayola crayon. His shirt was bright red, and his jeans a sky blue. Then there was his eyes, this first thing I had noticed when I saw him. They were the same color as my walls at home, yet they lacked the golden swirls. Well, they lacked anything really, any swirl or blend of colors you see in any eye. I assumed they were contacts.

His skin was odd though. It was a light twinge of gray, more noticeable then the discoloration on my own. His cotton candy lips spread into a smile as I approached.

“I hoped a pretty girl would come to help me.” He said with a high tinkling voice I did not expect.

“Well help I can. That’s my locker, you’re in the wrong place.”

He held his hands up in defense.

“Hold up Little Raven, I need help opening this locker.”

He pointed to the one next to mine.

“Well I know for a fact that’s not yours either. That’s Kayla Dacce’s locker. And my names Jacee, Jacee Moore, not Little Raven.”

I didn’t know why I was being so rude. So much for making friends.           

“Not anymore I guess.” He held out a note from the office, holding the locker combination and its number. I put in the combination for him and opened the locker.

“Thanks.” He said with a wink, and then he shut the locker I just opened.

“Hey!” I yelled. “I just opened that!”

“I don’t use lockers.” He said, his smile growing.

“Then why…”

“So I’d have an excuse to talk to you.” He said with a wink, turning around and starting down the hallway. “See you later Little Raven!”

************************************************************************

Two boring class periods later (Advanced Mythology 101, which I should enjoy, and ugh, Advanced Calculus) it was time for lunch. I almost expected the call of ‘Little Raven’ before I heard it. With a sigh I turned around to meet the colorful boy that had stood by my locker.

“Jaycee.” I almost whined, disliking the nickname he seems to have given me.

“Little Raven suits you better.” He said, as if he even knew me, flashing me a smile that sent cold chills down my spine.

“Speaking of names.” I said. “You haven’t told me yours.”

“Len, Len Riko.”

I nodded my head as I walked on, to put off by Len to try sitting with anyone today. I chose to sit and a lone and empty table, completely unsurprised when Len sat down with me. After several failed attempts to small talk with me, Len gave up, yet the strange boy continued to just sit and stare at me.

As he stared I felt my resentment towards him fade away. Why was I being so mean? He seemed to be a perfectly nice boy, one who was obviously interested in at least being friends. I needed to be a bit friendlier.

“So where did you come from? I mean, this is a pretty small town and I haven’t seen you around here before.” I probed.

“New York City.” He said with a shrug.

My eyes widened.

“What? Then why come here? To boring Shadow Grove Michigan? It must be so different.”

“I came for the quiet life I suppose.” He said. “Though I feel like something else drew me here.” He gave me a heavy look that made me blush.

“Well you will definitely get a quiet life here.” I said, trying to flash a winning smile. I guess it was good enough, cause he smiled back nice and wide. He opened his mouth to say something else, but just then the bell rang. I was off to physics 2, then best of all, dance.

I actually went to this high school because of their dance program. It was amazing. They had a whole wing dedicated to dance studios and costume storage. It was the perfect way to end my day.

I seemed to almost leap and twirl my way back to the school bus, spirits high after the 90 minutes of dance warm ups. I had out danced everyone in class, again securing my place in the class as the favorite. I went to take my seat in the front, only to find Len already sitting there. I checked to make sure I was on the right bus. I was.

As if he read my mind, Len said “I missed the bus this morning, but I actually get off at chestnut road.”

My street I thought. We rode the bus in silence, and I was shocked to find that when we got off the bus at chestnut road, that Len entered the house across from mine.