Chapter 20

My men were pressed up against the wall of the tavern motionless as we waited for the guards chatting out front to move along.

The stealth method I had used before by the blacksmiths' would be of no use here. Not when there are more than one target and they stand in the middle of the road- where as the other guard was alone and stood between two buildings.

If I couldn't find a solution soon, we would have no choice but to throw away the stealth and rush into battle.

I searched the area frantically trying to find a solution until my eyes landed on a group of dark figures on the roof across the road. I grinned as their daggers reflected the moon light. A few of the men fastened ropes to the chimneys, the other ends tied to Leo and two of his boys.

I watched in awe as they swooped down and grabbed a guard each, slitting their throats as they lifted them to the roofs.

The silence returned to the dark city. I grinned up at the men on the roofs and nodded my thanks. They melded back into the shadows as they moved on towards the castle.

I signalled the boys to follow as we continued to dash towards the inn just a few buildings down from the castle gates.

This was our final position before we rushed the castle. My eyes moved to the top of the cliffs, eager for the signals to be lit. The wait wasn't long at all.

The 3 fires flared to life, soon followed by 3 loud cannon shots. Time seemed to slow as the shots soared through the air. The impact on the gate was monstrous. Splintered wood flew in several directions, a thick smoke from the blast provided the perfect protection from the guards beyond.

"Let's go boys!" I shouted as I bolted into the thick gray mass. The visibility was low with hardly any time to strike at the guards that moved blindly through the fog. I ran until the smoke had thinned and stood my ground there. Hacking and slashing at every guard that thought he had a chance. "Push forward!" I ordered.

The men followed closely, cutting down the guards along the way to the castle.  We cut our way through the guards to the throne room. The surviving guards waited in formation around their king.

I slowed my men to a halt as I looked around at all the guards. My two dozen men were over powered easily by 6-1. My fathers army had never seemed so large until now.

I continued to search the room. The rebellion wasn't here yet. Neither was Leo and his boys. I began to worry that something had gone terribly wrong.

"This is the force you bring to defeat me?" The king bellowed.

"Aye. My boys are quicker and deadlier than your finest officers." I snarled. "I've already proved that you are not the god you think you are." I pointed to his bandaged wrist, a wicked grin on my face.

His face reddened with rage, "You will not mock me child. I am your King!" He snarled.

"I am a pirate father, that means you are no king of mine." I spat back. "You will pay for the sufferance you have caused these people. The Caspian's will have their city and their culture back." I gripped my blade tighter as my own rage boiled dangerously through my veins. "Your reign of darkness is over."

"You are no true pirate. You are a child using these men as pawns in your own game of chess. They mean nothing to you." He growled.

I continued to grin as I pulled Sam forward and pressed my lips to his in the ultimate display of forbidden passion.

"Are you sure? Because proper ladies don't make friends with pirates, and they certainly don't fall in love with them."

He slammed his fist against his throne and glared towards me as Sam stood proudly by my side.