Lesson Three: The Worst Times May Lead to the Best Encounters

GeorgiaTongHanFei, thanks!(: It inspires me that you like my book haha <3 Thanks for liking Lessons on Life, commenting.. and I uploaded LOL

P.S.. I'm surprised too. I really do wish this book had more reads.. *hint hint* haha juss kidding(; But thanks(:

_____________________________________________________________________________

I sniffed, still sitting on the swing. The crying that I had done had worn me out, but I didn't want to go back to my house yet.

I looked up to the sky, wondering what I should do. Closing my eyes, I leaned my head against one of the chains that held the swing to the swingset. Rocking myself on the swing, I thought about a life without my friends.

Shuddering, I shook my head. That life would not be good. The future ahead of me looked bleak, dull without my friends. A lone tear streaked down my face as I thought about what would happen now. Another tear quickly followed that lone one. I tried to will myself not to cry, right now, crying wouldn't do me any good.

"Hey, are you okay?" A warm, calloused hand brushed my tears away.

I nodded, opening my eyes. Crouching in front of me was a boy that looked my age. His black hair was medium length, covering the top of his ears and flopping a little on his forehead. Dark brown eyes stared into my, looking worried.

"I'm fine," I croaked out.

He stared at me for a couple more moments, then smiled. "Hey, whatever's got you down, don't worry about it, alright? It'll all work out in the end."

I looked at him in shock. This complete stranger was calming me down, in a park. He seemed sweet, though, trying to make me feel better even if we didn't know each other.

A small smile played on my lips. "Thanks."

The guy stuck his hand out. "I'm Ryder. Ryder Knight."

"I'm Kiley." I shook Ryder's hand.

"So, Kiley," Ryder said. "You have a last name?"

"McLean."

Ryder nodded. "Why were you crying, Kiley?"

I eyed him warily. "Why do you want to know?"

"Friends tell each other things, right?" Ryder's smile was easy going.

I raised my eyebrows. "So we're friends now?"

Ryder's smile disappeared. "Oh, sorry. I... I thought... You looked like you could..." He took a deep breath. "Hey, I'm Ryder. Do you want to be friends?"

I laughed. "I was just joking, Ryder. But, what the heck? Sure, I'll be your friend."

"So, friend," Ryder started. "Why were you crying back there?"

I sighed. "I... got in a fight with my friends."

"Ah," he stretched the word out, "I see. Well, if you and your friends don't make up- which I hope you do- I'll still be your friend."

"Thanks."

There was a moment of silence. I was drifting away, lost in my own thoughts.

"Do you want ice cream?" Ryder asked, breaking my thoughts.

I smiled. "Sure." I reached down, patting my pockets. "Oh, I didn't bring my wallet."

"That's alright, I'll pay for you."

I shook my head. "No, no. I'm fine."

"Too bad, I'm getting you ice cream." He started dragging me to the side of the park, most likely where his car- or bike... or whatever- was parked.