Chapter 5

We walked to the cafeteria. There was a line, and I saw that it led to the food. I thought that there would be classic prison grub, but instead I saw fruity eggs, yogurt, and bread toasted to perfection. The others went friends so that I could see how it went when you get food. After they got their food, I greedily grabbed a raspberry yogurt, two pieces of toast, and a serving spoonful of scrambled eggs. I was about to follow Kim to a table when I felt a poke in my back. I turned to see a fairly tall girl standing in front of me, she had messy blonde hair that fell past her shoulders. By the way she stood and her posse of girls behind her, I could tell that she would be a popular girl if she had her comforts of home. I could practically see her with too much make-up, bright pink nailpolish and lipgloss, curled hair, and high heels, I was glad she had none of those.

"Hey, kid, yur new, ain't ya'? Ya' gotta' know how thins' gonna' roll 'round here," she sounded so stuck up I almost choked, "Ya' gotta know, I rule 'round here." The girls around her snickered and whispered to each other. I knew that any english teacher would practically kill this kid over her grammar, and pronunciation.

"Where is your testpartner?" she asked. I was utterly confused.

"What's a testpartner?" I counter-asked.

"The girl you share a cell with," she said it like that should have been obvious.

"I don't share a cell." I stated she didn't seem to want to take the truth, she looked dumbfounded. She recovered eventually.

"Don't lie to me, kid." she looked at me threateningly. I didn't even here Kim come up behind me.

"Shut your face, Konra. Come on Aspen, let's go sit down, avoid the self appointed royalty." Kim said, as she guided me to the table where Joan and Blake were watching as if waiting for a fight to start, when they saw us coming over their expressions fell.

"Who was that? What did she mean by testpartner?" My head hurt from the questions, but I thought that two would suffice for now.

"That was Konra, don't become associated with her, she's bad news. A test partner is your roommate. Who is she by the way? You weren't with her when we found each other." Kim asked.

"I don't have a roommate, I am alone." I said.

Kimm glanced at me sideways as if to see if I was lying before saying, "You came alone?"

"Kind of, my friend, Rachel, came with me, but she got a different cell, close to the exit." I summarized.

"No one goes that far from here, my room is pretty far," Kim said almost warningly, "Only the scientists, and special cases."

"She could have been my testpartner, I've known her for two and half years now." I said, but Kim shook her head.

"People from Earth get a partner from Xenon, not two from Earth, or two from Xenon." She said.

"Where's Xenon, is that in Africa, Asia maybe?" I asked, "Why did you say from Earth, do you mean North America, or something?"

"Xenon is a planet from a distant solar system, Xenonians are basically aliens," She said matter-of-factly. The tables were a foot and a half by a foot and a half, so everyone got their own side of the table. Kim sat to Joan and the seat left empty for me, I realized. I sat between Blake and Kim. I was very awkward, and had never sat by a boy when it wasn't absolutely necessary, so I sat on the side of my chair nearer to Kim, if Blake noticed he didn't show it, either that or he didn't care. I hoped for the first.

"So.. Who's your testpartner?" I asked Kim. Joan raised her hand.

"That would be me," Joan smiled.