Chapter 1

Note: My grandma has Stage 2 Breast Cancer so this is for her <3. This is basically found out the same way as the kids did.

Disclaimer: The Fosters doesn't belong to me or my grandma.

2/5/14

*LENA*

"Lena, I'm so sorry." Dr. Hickens said when she came back in. 

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"You have Stage 2 Breast Cancer. That's what the lump is." She told me. I wanted to breakdown and cry right then and there. I wish I told Stef. I wish she was here.

I picked up my phone and hit speed-dial #1; Stef. "Hello?" She answered. I couldn't get my words out. Tears were coming out instead. "Baby, you there?" 

"S-Stef." I finally got out.

"What's wrong, babe?" She asked.

"I-I need you n-now." I cried.

"Where are you because I'll be there." She said.

"The San Diego Hospital." I said. "Park," I stopped. "ing lot." 

"Okay, I'm coming. I love you." She said. I hung up and got in the car. I looked out the window and continued crying. What did I do to deserve this? I have 5 kids to think about, I have my wife. I was always worried about Stef's life in danger that I never thought of my own. A police car pulled up behind me and Stef got out. I got out as well and began walking towards her. She ran to me and hugged me to death. "What's wrong? Why are you here?" 

"I-I need to talk to you." I said. She nodded. "Alone." Stef told her partner to leave and to tell Roberts it was an emergency and she would tell her as soon as she saw her again. I told Stef the entire thing on the way home.

"Why didn't you tell me, Lena? I would have been there for you." She said now crying.

"I couldn't. I was afraid." I whispered.

"Afraid of what?" She cried out.

"Of all of it. The possibility that I might die." I screamed.

"No, no, no." She told me. "You will not die. I'm not going to let that happen."

"How the hell are we going to tell the kids?" I asked.

"We are just going to be completely honest with them." She said. "But for now, I'm going to put my full attention into you."

*STEF*

Lena fell asleep with her head on my chest. I smiled and played with her hair. Oh God, I thought. Her hair is gonna be gone. I love her hair. I began crying and she woke up. "Shhh," I whispered. "Go back to sleep." 

"I love your built in pillows. I'm gonna miss mine." She said as she fell asleep again. I mouthed the words 'Me too'. When we woke up, all of the kids were in the in the kitchen doing their homework. Lena and I walked in and the kids looked up and stared. We looked at each other and we both looked like raccoons. 

"Kids, Mama and I have had a rough day." I finally said.

Jude said, "You guys looked really cute on the couch."

I smiled. "Thanks bud."

"What happened?" Mariana asked.

"Mama went to the doctor and found out she has Stage 2 Breast Cancer." I said.

"What?" The 4 oldest broke out. Jude just looked at the ground and began to cry.

"How did this happen?" Brandon asked.

"Well, she just found out a few hours ago and she has another appointment tomorrow." I said.

"We are going to be completely honest with you." Lena said. "We aren't going to hide a thing." Jude got up and ran into the living room.

"Jude!" I called after him. I left Lena and the remaining 4 kids and followed Jude. When I found him, he was sitting on the couch in a ball crying his little heart out. "Jude," I said sitting down next to him. "Honey, what's wrong?" I asked.

"I'm a grenade." He cried out.

"What do you mean you're a grenade?" I asked.

"Everytime I'm in a good house, my mom always has something deadly happen to them." He said.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"My mom getting in the car accident. You getting shot. Mama having breast cancer." He said.

"None of those things are your fault, babe." I said.

He looked at me, "That doesn't explain why they keep happening."

"Look, you weren't driving when your mom got in an accident. You didn't have a gun when I got shot. You didn't give Lena this disease." I said. "There's nothing you could have done to prevent any of it." 

"But I want to! I want to prevent it!" He screamed.

"As much as I want you to, you just can't." I said. He moved in for a hug and we stayed there for a good 10 minutes.

"I love you." He said when we finally broke apart.

"I love you too, baby." I whispered.