Chapter two

I growl as my ringtone fills up the quiet bedroom, vibrating on my nightstand. I answer without checking the caller id, like usual.

"Hello?" I barely grumble out a greeting. "Hey, it's Jason. Ya wanna hang today? After school?" He asks me, ignoring my attitude. "Sure man, but why are you calling me so early?" I whine, the bright light of my phone making me squint. "Check the time." Jason replies bluntly before hanging up.

I narrowed my eyes but obliged and saw the time. 7:45 am my phone shown. Dammit, I'm late. I rush out of bed and throw something on. I scramble downstairs, almost falling in the process, and run in the kitchen and grab an apple. "Max!" My sister Ruby yelled. "What?" I snap, turning around and facing the rebellious teen. "That apple was mine!" She argued, shooting daggers with her eyes. I snort and roll my eyes. "Goodbye Ruby. Tell Jessica and Dave that I'm out." I say before slamming the front door shut, a yell of protest followed soon after.

I chuckle and hop in my Mustang 97, and speed out of the driveway and into the school parking lot soon after, the beginning bell filling my ears. I hop out and stride to my first hour class, setting my stuff down and taking a seat. The late bell rings and signals the beginning of class. We all take our seats and the teacher speaks in monotone as she calls roll. "Max Spencer." She says "Hey hag." I reply, earning some laughs from the nearby students. Her old eyes furrow as she pushes her glasses down the bridge of her nose.

"Excuse me young man?" She raises an eyebrow. "Nothing." I reply, acting innocent for my own good. She sighs in defeat and keeps going. "Ivy Grey." She calls, and it was just now that I realized she wasn't here. "Well I guess little miss peppy isn't here." Kyle, another of my friends says. Everyone laughs to this, even me. I turn my attention to the teacher once again.

When the teacher was done with the attendance, I hear a thump outside in the hall. I decide to check it out. "Can I go to the bathroom?" I raise my hand and ask. She narrows her eyes but nods curtly, and I swiftly get out of my chair and outside the classroom. I look around and hear voices. I peek my head through the corner and see something weird.

Ivy and Jase, the schools bad boy. Trust me, he's way worse than me. He uses girls like toilet paper; wipes his shit with them then throws them out. "You know what I'm taking about Ivy." Jase says, seeming to get angered. "I obviously don't know what you're talking about Jase. You must have thought of someone else." Ivy snarls, emotions passing through her eyes like a tornado on steroids. I was surprised to see Ivy, the schools good girl, happiest girl in the school, nothing else but smiles as a habit, to be like this.

Who knew?

I shake the thought out of my head and continued to listen on their conversation. "You were there that night, you can't change the past sunshine." Jase smirks. "Never knew you were this desperate Brown." She sneers, her eyes seeming to change to a darker shade of her green. Before I could process what she said, Jase pinned her to the nearest set of lockers. Ivy seemed taken aback and flinched at the pain.

"Listen sunshine. I'm going to make you remember, and I'm going to tell the whole school what happened. What would happen if I told them about what I saw?" He whispers in her ear, and I swear she shivered. "Don't." She muttered, sounding defeated. "Oh sunshine, I will. Unless you do what I said earlier."

My face twists in confusion. What happened that night? What is Jase talking about? So many thoughts passed through my head and so many weird things came out as the results. I try to keep my mind focused on the scene happening in front of me. "Fine." Ivy gives in and sighs. I see Jase smirk and kiss her, letting her go. "Nice talk." He smiled, walking away in a different direction. "What have I done?" Ivy mumbles, and for the first time, I saw her cry a little.

Ivy wiped a tear from her eye and stood up, a smile plastered on her face. I sprint to class so that she doesn't see me. I open the door with so much force, it startled everyone in the class. "Mr. Spencer! What is the meaning of this?!" The teacher exclaimed, flailing her arms in the air. I smirk and make my way to my seat. "No reason." I reply, sitting down.

I hear someone cough and it breaks me and the teacher's stare down. "Oh Miss Ivy! Welcome!" The teacher squeals in delight at the sight of her prize student. "Hello Mrs. Dapkiewicz,  I'm sorry that I was late, my parents had to take me to a doctor's appointment." She says.

Wait, did the good girl just lie? I shake my head to see if I heard clearly. And it turns out I did.

"Well, just take your seat Ivy, we just started class anyway because of someone." The teacher glares my way. I put my hands up in surrender. "In my defense I had to take a shit." I announce to the class. "Mr. Spencer-" the pissed teacher got interrupted my the bell.

I gather my things and rush out of the room so I don't get a lecture.

Again.