Chapter 3- Vanessa

Chapter 3-Vanessa

‘Say sorry to her’ Joker-faced girl demanded. She towered us with the 5 inch heels that she was wearing.

We are now at the school corridor. We accidentally bumped Vanessa and her death eaters on our way to homeroom, and now they wouldn’t let us off the hook. In my defense, we didn’t want to bump them. It was actually their fault. They were the ones who would occupy the whole space in the corridor.

The girl raised her eyebrow when we just stared at her.  She walked closer to us, staring us intently with her dark, brown eyes that were covered by the longest fake eyelashes I've ever seen. I don't know why, but her face actually reminds me of a peacock.

‘Are you deaf? I said say sorry, you idiot!’ Joker-faced girl said again, her nostrils flaring with anger and annoyance. Gerald just snickered beside me. Her eyebrow went higher; I didn’t even know that was possible.

‘Don’t you know who I am? I am—‘Gerald cut Vanessa, cold.

‘Maria Vanessa Victoria, the richest girl in school. Now if you’ll excuse us, we still have things to do and classes to attend to.’He said, not even bothering to hide the bitterness that stung in his words. ‘Unlike you, worthless brats’ he added, not so loudly. ‘By the way, is there a circus show that you’re in or something? Boy, should you learn how to look in the mirror.’ The girl gasped and started to look for a mirror. We got past them and continued our way to first period.

“You haven’t told me that you are the king of sass.”

“I didn’t know. I think it just comes out naturally, especially if people keep on shoving their heads up their ass.”

We reached the room just in time. Miss Ladschmidt made some announcement about school hours getting cut after lunch break. She told us it was because of the Organizations fair. Everyone is required to attend, even if you are not planning to join one. After the announcement, excited babbles came from every corner of the room. Everyone was talking about everything. About which org to join, who to persuade, what to do, and all that stuff.

‘The school has 10 clubs. The first one, my favorite, is arts club, and I expect to see all the ones with the talents to join.’ She looked at me for a second with her x-rayish eyes, and I felt like being scanned through.

She expects me to be there. Suddenly, I’m not feeling well. I know, myself, I’m not allowed to join any clubs concerning arts. I’m gonna be dead to my parents, literally.  You see, they forbid me from doing anymore arts. The only thing they want me to do was focus on my studies, because I will be the heiress of the company. They tell me what to do, what not to do, trying to make be like them. My brother, being the one who loves praises, did everything they said, and is now an asset for the family. He’s my parents’ trophy. I don’t want to be like him, trapped in an invisible show room, acting like a robot, doing anything that his controller will tell him to do.

‘There’s also ballet club, jazz club, music club, cheerleading, math club, journalism, science club, athlete’s club, and performing arts club. I assume, at least one will suit you.’ Miss Ladschmidt added.

Again, chatter filled the room as if it was on cue. People got more excited than before. The majority of the girls wanted to join cheerleading, while others wanted to be in music club. Most of the boys wanted to join athlete’s club. Gerald told me he wanted to join music club. As bad as I want to join arts club, I just can’t. I’d love to plead to my parents about that matter. But we’ve already been through this before many times, and trust me, it does not end well for me.

The endless babbling stopped immediately when Ms. Ladschmidt’s clear voice rung in the air.

‘And because we still have a lot of time to kill, we will be having a mini-contest. Everyone and I really mean everyone—including me—will perform their talents here in front. Each will be given at least 4 minutes to perform their chosen talents. The winner will have a grandiose prize that will be personally picked by the winner himself or herself. So, let’s begin!’ She finished. Gerald stared at me nervously.