THE THREE GUYS. AID AND SUCCOR. RASPBERRY-TAINTED FEAR.

I shifted my incredulous gaze to Flynt. "Did you know about any of this?"

"Just what you've told me.  We don't seem to be in the loop with anyone, do we?"

While we spoke, I went to Novernyi and prodded at my bandage through her jumpsuit. 

"Sorry," she said, though it seemed perfunctory. "Not many I can trust."

"Understandable," Flynt said. Reluctantly, I nodded. "But I have to ask, can you fly your vessel with one arm? The Mirra is manually controlled for racing, isn't it? No autopilot?"

She seemed to search for a word.  "Unpleasant. It will be unpleasant. But I won't have to, much, move my arm. My hand only." Then she gave me a bit of a glare. "You told him of my arm?"

My alcohol-blurred memory didn't cough up this particular tidbit, but Flynt said, mildly, "She didn't tell me. You're not moving it much, and I can smell the injury. It's broken, isn't it?"

"Better let me tighten the bandage," I put in. "The air under the skin is worse, it's up to your shoulder." I paused. "Are you breathing okay?"

Novi's glare didn't change. "I'm fine. Just pain. Later fix the bandage, maybe."

I grumbled, "I should have you sign a waiver."

"What?"

I shook my head. "Nothing."

"Good." Novernyi rose. "We leave now." She paused, then said, even more perfunctorily, "Please."

*     *     *

I lost my sense of direction almost as soon as we left the little storage room. Winding mountain trails and old logging roads never fazed me, but this was ridiculous.

"If we run into a minotaur, you're fighting it," I panted to Flynt, who was misted in sweat but not breathing hard. We were both trotting to keep up with Novernyi.

"A what?" He shook his head. "Never mind. Novi, are you sure this is the right—"

"I very well can't go past the—the place where the rest of them are. Probably we are missed." She turned her head, smiling in a rather wicked manner. "Many times, I am at this station. Don't worry."

Somehow, we emerged into the plaza—or at least I thought it was the same big, stifling room—and hit a wall of crowd. It was too noisy for easy conversation, and although our pace had slowed to a quick walk, I was treading on Novi's booted heels to keep from losing her. Flynt strode next to me, almost pressed to my side.

I recognized the weird, stuttering percussion sound from our arrival, then blinked at the blue and orange strobes. We were passing by a solid black door guarded by more Sturv in uniforms.

"Is that music?" I asked Flynt.

He shrugged. "Technically. I'm amazed anyone wants to listen to Sturv music."

"Music snob much?"

He grinned, turning his head to glance behind us. "I suppose I shouldn't judge. I'm not much of a drummer." Then he whipped around, walking backward as easily as forward; his antennae stretched behind him as if to feel for obstacles. His nostrils flared. "Novernyi!"

Novi glanced back. "What is it?"

"We're being followed."

I looked back and didn't see any Bruttar. I'd have thought they'd be easy to see at their height. There were a lot of Sturv, though, and if any of the Kolmira Seven crew had realized what was going on...