A REAL DOCTOR. NATALYA. LESS THAN TWELVE PARSECS.

And so I was alone on Serendipity. Well, except for a dog, a computer, and a crowd of lemur-Ewok hybrids. Which wasn't much different from my previous job, all things considered. I pondered Qir x-rays and blood test results, then went down to talk to them.

"I think you have some kind of nutritional deficiency," I said to the Matriarch and her nearest-in-commands. "Something necessary for growth in particular, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of you were affected eventually."

A Qir I hadn't met spoke up. I assumed he was one of the technical crew. "The Sturv provided the formulated rations. We were told it was nutritionally sound for most species."

"Maybe for most, but I don't think for you. I don't know what it is specifically, but it affects a wide variety of systems, so probably a vitamin or an amino acid.  One you need but other species don't."

"Why isn't it all of the children?" one of the parents asked. "And our people at the new colony are fine."

"Well, here's my best guess for now. The affected kids are within a certain age range where they're vulnerable to some deficiency. Younger than that, and they're fine. Older, fine. Except the little girl that sprayed my dog."

Mutterings and sideways glances. 

Way to be awkward, Dr. Halliday. "Okay, okay, the little girl who was in the pouch longer than her peers. Right? Weaning them from the pouch early may not be harmful if they're on your natural diet—"

Hippie-Granola Mom chittered in a distinctly disdainful manner.

"—but on those rations you got from the Sturv, it's too soon. They're getting something from mom that they can't absorb from food or make themselves. Either we figure out what's missing in the food—which could take awhile—or you go back to eating like you do on your own planet, or you wean your kids later. If your journey is long enough, I think all the kids might get sick regardless, so I suggest the second option. In the meantime we can try some supplements and see if they feel better."

There were protests. Their ship was not set up to grow food for their mostly vegetarian diet, it seemed. I repeated the options, which is what I do when my professional opinion is being disregarded. Eventually the Matriarch's immediate group of advisors agreed to discuss things, and to talk it over with Adrian once he got back.

I had a feeling Adrian wasn't going to want to discuss hydroponics when he returned to his ship. I was the one who had taken botany, anyway.

*     *     *

Adrian and Flynt were gone for nearly eleven hours. I made some case notes on the Qir, then caught a worthless few hours of sleep. I was keenly aware that I was floating in space pretty much on my own.

I was awakened by what felt like the ship crashing. I rolled right off my bed and hit the floor with a curse.

"Don't worry," Patricia's voice reassured me, although she sounded more smug than anything. "Adrian was just in a hurry to dock. Are you ready to go to work?"

"Huhmph." I gained my feet with an effort. I was reminded of vet school, the emergency rotation where you had to answer the phone and see crazy people and their pets in the middle of the night. "What's going on?"

"Three Earthers, one with severe injuries, the others minor. One Bruttar, minor injuries. Adrian says to meet them in Sickbay."

A chill shot through me. Somehow, Earthers with injuries frightened me much more than injured non-Earthers would have. "Thanks, Radar," I grumbled, pulling on my scrub top and sticking the Earwig in my ear. "Next time wake me up a little sooner."