Chapter 2

Upon my arrival at Portland International Airport, I find myself at a crossroads. I am here in Oregon so I might as well go to the place. Going to this site doesn't mean I have to go to all the others. On the other hand, I am wasting time that would be better spent in my dorm studying and working on assignments. But then again, I can't shake the feeling that my sister wanted me to come here. That she would want me to go all the places she dreamed of going but will never be able to go.

And maybe this is a totally crazy and stupid idea, but I think I have my decision made.

I turn to Carson and watch his hair fall into his face. He lazily pushes it back and I smile. The girls back at my dorm would be drooling right now. Hell, my sister would be drooling.

"So where are you headed right now?" He asks me and I think back to our conversation on the plane. He knows I don't have anywhere planned to go and an attempt to get a hotel room anywhere at this point with the competition this weekend is pointless. Apparently this kind of thing brings in a huge crowd and some hotels are completely booked months in advance.

"I don't really know yet but I'll find a place. What about you?" A man and woman run between us and I stagger to the left, narrowly missing a collision.

"I'm lodging at my sister's place. She owns a house over there because she likes the "view". I personally think she just wanted to have a place where she could come see me surf." His tone is all cockiness and I shake my head, my mess of curls bouncing back and forth. "Riiiight. I'm sure that's why she bought the place." Carson laughs along with me as we walk over to the baggage claim. We stand beside one another while waiting for our baggage and I can't help but notice how much taller than me he is. He has to be at least 6'4" because he towers over me by at least a foot, probably more.

My phone rings and I check the caller I.D. before answering. After seeing who it is I am definitely glad that I did. I'm not exactly in the mood to speak to my mother right now. Especially when she figures out where I am. My roommate probably already called her and told her I'm not at school. I am definitely avoiding that conversation for as long as I can.

I ignore the call and slip my phone back into my pocket. "Maybe you should answer that call?" he prods but I shake my head. Not happening.

"If it is important she will leave a voicemail." Is all I say before I walk up and pick up my suitcase. I managed to fit my laptop case inside and for that I am thankful. "It was very nice to meet you Carson, maybe I will come watch your competition." I say before walking towards the exit.

"Hannah, wait!" He calls and I turn around to see him jogging after me with his backpack in hand.

"Is that all you brought?" I ask him and he laughs, slinging it over his shoulder.

"I pack light." He shrugs his shoulders and I roll my eyes at his nonchalant behavior. I turn around to walk away again but his fingers encircle my arm, causing me to stop.

"Yes?" I say, slightly agitated. It was nice to meet him and all, but if I have any chance of finding a room, I'd better do it now. That window is closing faster by the second.

"Stay with me." He says and I whip my head around to make sure I've heard him right. "Excuse me?" I don't bother to hide the incredulity in my tone.