Part 1: Undeniable

HE WAS UNABLE to stop the tears flowing down his face. The crown made of green leaves fell over to the filthy ground. Although the goddess had surely tried his best, all his efforts proved to be ultimately useless, no doubt.

Or so, the devil behind him said.

"You should have just abandoned them when you had the chance," he grinned. He walked over to him.

"Look at you. You're hurt. You're pathetic."

The heavenly entity's hands held ashes. Remains. Even though they seemed so pure, even though he thought perhaps they'd have a chance, it seemed that all was tainted by the evil in front of him, who crouched down. He took his hands and made him dump the remaining cinders of a being he thought would surely survive the disease spreading, it appeared the world was being punished much more severely than he thought. After all, the bubonic plague had only been around for three days and there were already dead stacking up on one another.

"A human's life is precious and weak. This one had turned to somewhere he shouldn't have in his last moments. What can I say?"

Osomatsu sneered.

"Youths give into temptation quickly."

Choromatsu would have attacked him, had the good in him not reminded him of what he would accomplish in that kind of violence. Nothing. After all, with a person like that, that'd just be something he'd want. Osomatsu was about to speak when he saw something getting closer.

"Oops. Gotta blast," he winked before quickly disappearing with his pair of black wings, his tail following.

Choromatsu turned to avoid the gust of wind and saw somebody making their way towards him. The grim reaper from what he could tell. Choromatsu wiped his face and reaffirmed the crown of his hair.

"Another death already, huh?" asked Ichimatsu, glancing at the burns of what looked like a used-to-be young boy. That was him, the grim reaper. His hair was a little messy, and his purple eyes looked uninterested with bags underneath. Ichimatsu's voice was also very monotone, and of course carrying the classic scythe as well as wearing a messed cape over his clothes.

Choromatsu sighed. "He's. . . Not going. . . You know where, is he?" he asked. Ichimatsu sighed. "Afraid he is. This kid turned to darkness in desperation and didn't have time to fix his mistakes. He was tricked anyways." He stood over the ashes. "The people in Europe who have seen what the disease can do are going insane. Dumbasses, blaming Jews and setting people on fire. By the way, does god really want a sacrifice?"

The green eyed male shook his head. "No, but even I can feel his pain. Most humans are reasonable, but those who aren't don't seem to think logically at all," Choromatsu said beginning to stand up.

"Tch. My work's just becoming a real bother. That's the twentieth death today caused by the plague, and it's barely noon," Ichimatsu quietly complained. Choromatsu clenched his fists. "Don't. . ." the male whispered, but loud enough for the grim reaper to notice.

"Huh?"

"Don't act like he's just a number in your collection! His life had meaning, he could have been something! Hatabou isn't just another digit you're keeping count of!"

"But he is!"

Choromatsu flinched slightly. His opinion was that every life he came across had matter. They all had hopes and aspirations, and he admired that. Seeing someone treat them as math adding up, really irked him. "Choromatsu, look, you're one of the better of us, I get that, but that doesn't mean we can live it how you see it," Ichimatsu said.

"I. . . I knew. Sorry. I just lost my cool for a moment." Choromatsu put a hand to his forehead, looking a little exhausted. The sounds in the background began to build up. Smoke started to build up, the smell was filling the air. The boy's body had been burned and abandoned. There were also swelling areas over his body that caused painful reactions.

"Yeah, these are frustrating times, I get it. Tell the big man I say hi, if he's still there anyway. I have to hurry. Goodbye." With that, Ichimatsu left. Choromatsu was alone by the lake area once more. He found it peaceful.

Until a he recognized the familiar scent mixed with burning. And a certain devil began to taunt him. Choromatsu had the feeling that Osomatsu tempted Hatabou into something right before the disease killed him, leading him to go down. Of course, he knew Hatabou was an ordinary child that didn't do anything wrong but would occasionally snitch or rat someone else out. So it must've been a grave sin, whatever it was.

Choromatsu couldn't stop thinking about. It was stuck in his head for the rest of the day. And he kept wondering if the devil was plotting something that could endanger more than they realized.