Chapter 17: Bad Day

I put my head down on my desk and I couldn’t stop the waterworks. All the sudden I felt a hand on my back. I could feel his strong, rough hands through my shirt.

“Liz, what’s wrong?” He whispered in my ear. I picked my head up from my desk. My face was stained with tears. I probably looked terrible. I couldn’t even look at him. To think this whole time he had a girlfriend. That lying, cheating jerk.  “Elizabeth, look at me,” he demanded. I continued to look the other direction. He kept calling my name in a whisper. I kept ignoring him. The bell rang and he finally stopped trying to talk to me. We sat through class in silence. The bell rang again fifty minutes later signaling the end of class. I hurried up and grabbed my stuff and ran out of class. But sadly, I didn’t run fast enough. He grabbed my arm and pulled me backwards.

“Lizzy, what the hell is going on?” He asked. I tried to get out of his grip but he wouldn’t let me. “Why won’t you talk to me?” I couldn’t look at him at all. Tears were running down my race. I hated him. I hated him so much for what he did to me. I never wanted to see him again. I knew I shouldn’t have gotten involved with him. I pulled away from his grip and started walking away. “Elizabeth, stop!” He yelled down the hall but I kept walking. I walked into my next class with my face completely soaked with tears. I couldn’t even focus on the teacher, all I could think about was how much I hated Joe and how he led me on.

I was so upset I almost forgot that I had an appointment today to figure out the sex of my baby. I had to leave school in fifteen minutes and that meant I wouldn’t have to see Joe in the hall. I hoped I could convince my mom to let me stay home after my appointment. I couldn’t stand the thought of having to see Joe again. The next fifteen minutes dragged by, but finally I got to leave. I went to my locker and walked down the stairs and met my mom outside. She excitedly chatted away about the baby the whole way to my appointment. When we finally got there I signed in and we both waited together for the doctor to come get us. It only took about five minutes until the doctor was at the door calling me in the room. Mom came into the doctor’s office with me and I lied down like I was used to and the doctor was soon putting the cold gel on my expanded stomach.

“Are you ready to know the sex of your baby?” She asked in a cheery tone. I nodded a yes to her and I saw the image of my little baby on the screen. “Well it looks to be a little baby girl and a healthy one too,” she told me. Just the sight of my little girl and the sound of her heartbeat brought a smile to my face. I would have my little baby girl in just four months. We had so much to do before the baby’s arrival. Mom and Dad had decided that we would make Mathew’s room the baby room, though Alexander and me protested to keep it just the way it was. We had to shop for all the baby’s things, move all of Mathew’s things, paint the room, and so much more in four months.

We left the doctor’s office and got into the car. “Hey sweetie, do you want to skip the rest of the day and go shopping for the baby?” Mom asked, reading my mind.

“Yeah, sure,” I said, excited that I didn’t have to go back to school to face Joe. We walked around some kid’s stores in the mall and found a couple cute outfits, a car seat, and a couple adorable toys. It was a successful day. I went home and immediately crashed in my bed. It had been an emotionally hard day. I closed my eyes and drifted off.

I was doing my homework and looked over to my right, just as Dave was climbing through my window. I screamed but he didn’t seem to notice. He walked right past me. He didn’t even look at me. Why was he here? What did he want? I heard a baby’s cry from the room next to mine. I couldn’t move I just screamed and cried. Dave kept walking straight into the next room. I finally got up the courage to move. I walked over to the next room to see Dave holding a baby girl, my baby girl. Dave had my baby! He walked past me and kissed me on the cheek, still holding my baby, and climbed out the window.

I screamed and cried until Alexander came into my room and woke me up. He pulled me in his arms and comforted me. It was just a terrible dream, but I was still crying in Alexander’s arms.