Chapter II.

During the whole drive to my mum's friend Maddie's house my mum told me everything I needed to know about her.

They met when they were in high school and went to Uni together, she got pregnant with her son months before finishing school and she had to drop it and got married with her baby's father. They moved to Australia because that's where he lived and although they kept in touch, they never saw each other again because my mum married my dad, had me and moved to the United States.

"Her son is a few years older than you, you might get along very well." My mum commented when we stopped to a red light. I glanced at her from the corner of my eye and she was smirking. She knew something was up and it was the right time to tell her.

"I broke up with Jonnie." She wouldn't have the chance to say anything because we were near her friend's house.

"He was cheating on me." I continued, she didn't say anything which was weird.

"I know honey. He has called so many times but I knew you didn't wanted to talk to him so I told him off." She replied with a sad smile, reaching out her hand to hold mine. I looked at her and smiled. She was the best person in the world, what would I do without her?

The light turned green and it was time for us to move, I manoeuvre my way between the cars, for Christmas, there was a lot of traffic.

We arrived to the big house minutes later, the skies were clearing up but still little rain drops were falling from the sky, mum called to her friend and soon she was coming outside with a big smile on her face and embraced my mum in a big hug. I smiled despite of everything when my mum and her started giggling like teenage girls.

"Jill! I can't believe this is really you!" Maddy wiped a tear that managed to fall on her cheek and continued smiling and laughing.

"Oh, Maddie I missed you!" My mum replied and then turned to face me, I put on the most polite and sincere smile on my face as my mum spoke:

"This is my daughter Lily, darling this is Maddie, my best friend." My mum held my hand and guided me towards Maddie whom embrace me in a big hug and awkwardly I hugged her back.

"Nice to meet you, lil' Lil, last time I saw you you were wearing diapers." She said and I couldn't help but laugh, she was very sweet and friendly.

After apologizing for embarrassing herself, Maddie lead us to the inside of her house that was indeed beautiful. Everything seemed to be new and the smell of cinammon and honey filled the air. I heard a male voice clearing his throat and turned around to meet beautiful brown eyes staring at us with a smile on his face.

"I almost went to the porche to drag you all inside." He joked and both my mum and Maddie laughed. Maddie placed her hand on the boy's shoulder which was a head taller than her and he smiled at her wide, she giggled and lead him closer to where my mum and I were standing.

Was Maddie dating a younger man? Or was he older than what he appeared? Because he indeed was very handsome and looks so young.

"Jill, Lily, this is my son Thomas." He stepped closer and held my mum's hand saying "nice to meet you." He then turned to look at me and extended his hand, I was staring at him and realised how dumb I was for thinking he may be Maddie's boyfriend, they look alike, he has her eyes and the eyebrows-

"Lily." My mum spoke in a stern voice and I blushed, the boy was laughing at me and soon my mum and Maddie joined him, how embarrassing! I was too busy studying his features that I forgot we had company and he was still waiting! Lily, go back to reality!

"Oh right, nice to meet you Thomas."  He laughed and I shook my hand with his, he had a beautiful smile.

"Nice to meet you, Lily."

____________*_______________*______________