John Deere and the Devil in Grand Detour IL -----------

John Deere and the devil in Grand Detour, IL

History / biography / paranormal research

---------

By Gregory S Stomberg

---------

How and why did God fearing people burn the the second largest city in the Midwest?

This is the history of the man who has been called the devil incarnate, who ruled Grand Detour IL in a reign of terror for over twenty five years.

In 1767 ma ka Amish Kia kia , blackhawk , was born in the great lakes region.

A treaty in 1804 lost the Saul and fox tribes all of their land east of the Mississippi, black hawk disputed the treaty because his tribe did not sign that treaty.

Keokuk, the man who has been everywhere, was black hawk's tribes medicine man, and they practiced maize pinto corn witchcraft.

In 1812 black hawk fought on the side of the British.

Around 1823 white man began appearing around the northern IL region, Dixon was founded in 1830.

Grand Detour became a very important river port partly because of its horseshoe shape the rock river takes here, coming within a half mile of itself in a three and a half mile stretch, with the river on both east and west sides, with the town forming a peninsula.

The steamboats came from the great lakes region then into green bay and down to green river and then into lake Winnebago where they would travel a hundred miles south to hit the rock river.

In 1834 Leonard Andrus staked his claim at the big bend then headed back east to Vermont to persuade friends and relatives to move to his new town, the Grande Detour.

He persuaded invented john Deere to come to town because of the towns excellent transportation resourceson both sides of the peninsuled town and river, which would do wonders for Deeres plow factory.

In 1835 the first house was built by Andrus and his twin cousins, Willard and Willis House, in November the first white child was born in the area to Willard and Sarah House.

In 1836 Grand Detour was declared a town, and Andrus as its founder, also founded that year was the Grand Detour Hydraulic Company, organized to build saw and grist mills on the Rock River.

John Deere was getting tired of the rocky Vermont hills and yearned for fertile soil to perfect his farming techniques so he decided to take Andrus up on his offer to test the Midwestern soil .

When john Deere arrived in Grand Detour he had seventy five dollars cash on him.

Suddenly in 1837 john developed an even better idea for his plow, and he was flooded with business from the areas farmers the steel plow was officially claimed by Andrus and Deere and they had a partnership for its patent and manufacturing rights.

mean while in Vermont a very shrewd businessman had read of the Deere / Andrus invention and the importance of the self scouring plow, and the millions of acres out west to be farmed by the millions of farmers who needed to buy the plow, and new the profit might be in the millions of dollars and that the face of farming would be changed forever.

That mans name was Solon Cumins.

Cummins, his wife and only child, came to Grand Detour in 1837 to get it all or die trying, some say he sold his soul to the devil to achieve his goals, he was already quite wealthy and legal minded so he intended to steal everything as legal as possible.