Intro

The four of them gather at the booth in the bar. It's the same one they've inhabited for years, but everything has changed.

"Bri has been panicking about the interview since we applied. I've never seen her clean so much," Ashton says. "I feel bad, and I would help, but everything is already spotless."

"Have you shopped for the nursery shit yet?" Calum asks. "I looked online for an idea of it all and I debated the idea of having a baby for that sole purpose."

Ashton nods. "It's all there. We got a lot from her sisters. It would be really sad for us to not get a baby with the whole room set up. I think she'd just leave it there for years."

"It is sad," Luke says. The boys look down at their drinks, the atmosphere heavy now.

"Well, hey," Michael says, "you can try adopting like Ashton and Bri. Then you can use the nursery!"

Luke shrugs. "I don't know if Ariana wants to." Sensing that it's time to bring the conversation back to a more positive note, he turns to Ashton. "So what time is the interview?"

"Nine. Bri has already set her alarm for five, though. It's not going to be fun."

The boys nod in agreement. "At least you'll have a baby at the end of it," Calum says.

"I hope so," Ashton nods.

"I believe in you, man," Calum says, patting him on the back.

"Me too," Luke and Michael chime in.

Ashton smiles gratefully at them. "I appreciate it." He checks his watch, reading the time. "I should probably get back soon. If I'm not home by midnight, Bri might think I'm bailing on her." He finishes his drink off, leaving ten bucks on the table. "I'll talk to you guys tomorrow."

"Good luck!" they shout as he leaves.

Calum pulls out money too, getting up. "Yeah, I should get going too, in case Jess is...ovulating, I guess."

"Oooo," Michael says. Calum rolls his eyes at the immaturity. "Remember, use only the best swimmers. Sort that shit out."

"You need to repeat sex ed," Calum mutters as he walks away.

"Bye, Cal," Luke says, earning a half-hearted wave.

Luke and Michael look at each other. "It feels weird sitting on the same side of the table when the other booth is open," Luke says.

"Yeah, yeah," Michael agrees quickly, getting up. "You heading out soon?"

"I should, yeah." Luke gets up behind him, paying off their tab. They walk out into the warm Los Angeles air together. "I'm guessing Ariana will be crying over another failed pregnancy test when I get home."

"Shit..." Michael sighs. "I'm sorry, man."

Luke shrugs. "It just sucks that I can't do the one thing I'm supposed to be able to do for her."

"Don't say that. You do a ton for her. You're a great husband, so don't beat yourself up. You guys will figure something out."

"I hope so.... Thanks anyways. Sorry I always bring you guys down."

"You don't. You're going through a hard time and we're here for you."

"Thanks," Luke repeats, nodding like he's trying to convince himself that it's true.

"You guys make me feel so unsuccessful," Michael admits. "You all have wives and you're trying to have babies! I'm still out fucking around. What's new, though?"

Luke laughs. "You're not unsuccessful. I'm only 24; I'm just early on the trend. Don't worry about it. Besides, you have Crystal. It's not like you're fucking a different girl every night. You're settling down, even if you don't realize it."

"Yeah. I know it's weird since I've only been with her for ten months now, but I want to marry her."

"Dude!" Luke smiles, the light reaching his eyes this time. He elbows Michael. "That's great. Do you think she feels the same way?"

"We've talked about it. About us and our future together. I think she might be into it."

"That's great. It really is. I'm happy for you."

Michael nods. "Have a good night, okay?" he says as his ordered Uber arrives.

"You too," Luke nods. Michael pauses before going to hug Luke, a rare thing for the two of them.

"Love you, man," Michael says, obviously embarrassed by showing so much affection toward Luke. He punches Luke in the shoulder playfully before climbing in, leaving Luke to walk the block left to his apartment.