Avane

Avane brushed her hair, gazing at herself in the mirror as she did so. The voice in her head commanded her not to break her gaze, and she obeyed. Suddenly, the urge changed and Avane found herself staring detachedly at the ground. Today the urges seemed stronger than usual, forcing her to perform these movements as quickly as possible while maintaining the fluidity of normal motion. Avane longed to leave the mirror, but knew that she would be engulfed by searing pain if she dared try to move a muscle out of place. Again. the girl heard her mother's voice in her head, "Just listen to the urges and do as they say, as they keep the balance in our world." Outside of her reflection in the mirror, Avane frustratedly made small movements with her foot, careful as to stay within the range of motion allowed to her by the urge. Brown eyes studied the imperfections on the floor, and Avane was tired and ready to fall asleep when she felt her shoulders begin to twitch. They felt almost as though she was involuntarily breathing heavily, and Avane wanted to look in the mirror and see what movements her body was undergoing without her consent. However, a curtain of dark brown hair blocked her vision and Avane knew better than to move it.