Chapter 33

Chara opened her eyes to find herself right where she remembered - in the inky blackness of hell. However, she felt an unusual sensation, the sensation that someone was sneaking up behind her. She whirled around, and found herself face to face with the human. He was drenched with sweat, blood, and a thin layer of gray powder. His eyes opened with shock the moment he saw Chara.
Now that she was in the same presence as this being, she learned why she had come back from the dead.
She smiled. "Greetings, I am Chara."
The human took a few steps backward.
"Thank you," she said. "Your power awakened me from death. My human soul. My determination. They were not mine, but yours."
The human continued to back up, until he felt something behind him. He looked, but saw nothing. He reached out, and with a shudder discovered that the walls of hell were practically closing in on the two of them.
Chara continued. "At first, I was so confused. Our plan had failed, hadn't it? Why was I brought back to life?" She paused, enjoying the human's fear. "You. With your guidance, I realized the purpose of my reincarnation - power. Together, we eradicated the enemy and became strong. Now, we have reached the absolute." She held out her hand. "There is nothing left for us here. Let us erase this pointless world and move on to the next."

The human stared at her in awe. It was at this moment that he realized the true fallout of his actions, and tears began to stream down his face. His gaze then dropped to her hand, and he struck it away with a grimace.

Chara cocked her head. "No...? Hmm... how curious. You must have misunderstood."
The human's eyes were squeezed shut. She said nothing, leaving him hanging and petrified. After a long time, he slowly turned his head, opened his eyes, and gasped.
Chara's eyes were huge, wide, and blacker than the hell surrounding them. "Since when were YOU the one in control??"

Just then, the world around them flashed red. The human scrambled to get up and run, but before he could react, the ground opened up beneath him like a chasm, and swallowed him within it. The last thing he saw before falling were Chara's huge black eyes.
As the human fell he screamed at the top of his lungs, hoping that this demon would somehow here the regret in his voice and spare him.

But nobody came.
He had killed them.

He tried desperately to cling to the rocky wall of the chasm, scraping up his hands as he tried to get a grasp it, until at last he had gotten a strong grip with good footing. He looked downward into the chasm. From the red light up above, he could see that the pit below him was bottomless. His stomach did a slow, lazy roll.
Ignoring the nausea, he made the treacherous climb back up, only to find that Chara wasn't there anymore. The only thing that was left in the world was the sound of blowing wind. Realizing that he had put himself in this place, he sat on the edge of the chasm and wept.

Unbeknownst to him, Chara was in fact watching nearby. She took a few moments to enjoy his fear and regret, the perfect vengeance for her adoptive family's deaths. About ten minutes later he pulled himself together, and she became desperate for some excitement.
"Interesting."
The human jumped. His head whipped around, looking for the source of the voice. But Chara was nowhere.
She went on. "You want to go back to the world you destroyed. It was you who pushed everything to its edge. It was you who led the world to its destruction, but you cannot accept it. You think you are above consequences."
The human violently shook his head.
"Then what are you looking for?"
No response.

At that moment, Chara realized that it was a good thing the human didn't fall into the chasm. It had something she wanted.

"Perhaps, we can reach a compromise," she offered. "You still have something I want. Give it to me, and I will bring this world back."

The human's eyes darted around nervously. What valuable thing could he possibly have? But he was desperate to undo his heinous actions, so he gave a brave look and nodded.

"Then it is agreed. You will give me your Soul."

This human had ended her family's innocent lives, stolen countless others, and grown stronger and stronger with every murder he committed. That power was something Chara craved.

Upon hearing that the demon wanted his Soul, the human's eyebrows raised in surprise. He hesitated a moment, but then realized that after everything he had done, he didn't want to live anymore. He closed his eyes and nodded.

Chara smiled. "Then, it is done."

The End