The Second Quarter

As the countdown to UC Berkeley's decision day approached, I was unfazed by the potential of having my application denied. I had already gotten into several good schools, and Berkeley was, in all honesty, too close to home. I wanted to go somewhere else. But to pass up that kind of education would be foolish.

No one could tell me, however, that other schools didn't have close to what Berkeley had to offer. I knew that there were some that did. And I wasn't afraid to choose one of them over Berkeley for reasons I said here.

The days at school passed by slowly. I was tired of high school. I couldn't wait to take my final exams in two and a half months and then graduate days later. I knew that the summer would be boring. But I had the new experience of university to look forward to in the end.

It was a few days before Easter. Spring was in the air, and Monday marked the start of spring break. Thalia was on my mind more than ever, even though I had Maryanne. I felt ashamed to be indecisive, but what could I do about my thoughts?

On Good Friday, I opened my email to find the letter I had been waiting for from the University of California Department of Admissions.

I had been accepted. I was delirious with happiness at the accomplishment alone. My parents were happy for me. Everything seemed well in the world.

On Wednesday, the third day of spring break, it was very, very warm. I walked through my neighborhood in the beautiful weather. I was still euphoric about Cal accepting me, so I almost didn't notice the girl walking in front of me until she turned.

"Anthony?"

"Oh, hey, Thalia," I said. "You hear the news?"

"No. What news?"

"I got into Berkeley!"

"That's awesome. Congratulations!"

We exchanged a hug, our first-ever display of affection. Once I drew back, she said, "So...I won't be seeing you anymore after this summer?"

"Well, I haven't made any decisions yet. But probably not."

"That's okay. It's for your good."

"Your selflessness is beautiful," I said.

"That means a lot to me. I've dedicated my life to helping and supporting people for as long as I can remember. I've gotten almost no acknowledgement, so thank you."

"Don't mention it."

"I just think that's the right way to live. And I'm willing to go the extra distance to do it," she said.

Something about her made me want to hold her and never let her go. But this kind of thing never works. Something always gets in the way of a happily ever after ending. And it's very dangerous to think that you are the exception to the rule.

"Well, I should get going," said Thalia. "I need to be home by three."

"It's two-forty-five. Where do you live?"

"About four blocks from here, that way." She pointed in the direction.

"Wow. I live about four blocks away too, but the exact opposite direction," I said.

"You have a great day."

"You too, sweetheart." I smiled.

Immediately I felt sick to my stomach. I can't call her sweetheart. I have a girlfriend. But I felt more connected to Thalia than I did to Maryanne at that moment.

I saw Thalia again that Saturday, two days before we were to go back to school. She told me something that I would never have seen coming, even if it was right in front of my face.