Chapter 1

Lexa's POV

The dusty uneven road turns into a wide cemented one. A great stone manor looms on the turn of the road. Heavy metal gates and great stone walls barrier the manor from everyone else. Heavy-armor clad guards stand on the gates.

The manor belongs to the ruler of our nation, know as Czar. The heavy security was probably because the Czar was afraid someone was going to kill him. If he didn't have the security someone would have till now. There have certainly been many attempts to. One of the attempters being my brother Philipe.

All those who have attempted to kill him till now have been executed. Brutally. Including Philipe. We didn't even get to keep the body. Not that it was recognizable.

It's the year 2218. I live in a country called Silvania. They say a country called The United Stated used to be here. Around two hundred years ago.

The Hub was The White House, the place where the President lived. Now it's a trade house for black goods. It's actually white in colour but it's so scorched with coal and dust it appears black.

They say war and diseases are what destroyed the world and transformed it into the world I know.

It's been nearly seventy we have been ruled by the Zeras. The first Czar, Czar Marzac, was good they say. But generation after generation went and the Czars became cruel. They became tyrants. As much as Czar Marzac was loved by the public, his future generations were hated. The last Czar, Czar Zandor was believed to be the cruelest ruler till now. Everyone thought no Czar could be as cruel as him. Well his son, Czar Zekarias, our present ruler proved everyone wrong.

He's the most brutal tyrant till now. Everyone starves under his reign. Many attempts to kill him have been made but none successful.

I was 13 when Philipe was executed. Czar Zekarias killed Philipe, my only family, and left me all alone at the age of 13. Three years have passed since Philipe's death now. Our parents had died in an accident in the mines when I was 3 and Philipe was 10. Philipe was the one who brought me up. Trading things in The Hub for money, working 15 hours a day in the mines, all so he could bring me up.

I haven't talked about Philipe's death to anyone. But that doesn't mean I have forgotten it. Or forgotten the reason why he is dead and who is responsible for his death.

Czar Zekarias killed my brother. Now I am going to kill him.