Prologue

Prologue

*Skylar's POV*

"Okay, bye Trent. I'll see you after school" I smiled at my little brother. Watching him wave, before his six year old frame disappeared around the corner.

I heaved a sigh, knowing that I would be late to school. Again. 

You see the problem is I am a terribly slow walker and waking up late this morning was no help, considering I had to drop my brother off. Honestly I wasn't in the mood to deal with the questions I would receive from my teacher, about my tardiness.

I picked up my pace, and made my way down the familiar path towards MellHall High. I had been attending MellHall High for five years now. All I could look forward to was next year, only because I would be finishing school and leaving home.

You are probably thinking I am crazy for wanting to leave home and all. I promise i'm not crazy. Trust me when I say my parents aren't normal. You see, they don't get along with each other, or with my brother for that matter.

My mum is depressed, taking pills and never leaves her room, because my dad doesn't love her anymore.

As for my dad he has a great job that pays well, but none of that money comes home. He uses all his pay on stripers, alcohol, drugs and gambling. So basically my home life sucks balls.

Yup, you heard me. It sucks balls.

I made my way into the entrance of the school quietly and made my way towards my locker. I retrieved the books that I needed for my first period.

English.

I actually enjoyed class, you can call me a nerd but school is all I have. I don't have many friends actually I only have one, Chastity.

Chastity is my best and only friend ever since we were small. When my family wasn't completely broken and unhappy, we used to have many friends. Now I only trusted Chastity and she was the one person who chose to stay friends with me, all circumstances considered.

My thoughts came to a stop when I found myself absentmindedly standing in front of my English class. I hate when I walk around oblivious. A bad habit I have picked up over the years.

Pushing the heavy door, I entered the classroom only to have everybody stop what they were doing and stare at me. It was one of those embarrassing teen movie moments. I hated it. 

You see I wasn't one to come late to class ever. I would usually have dropped of Trent at school early enough, so I could make it to school on time. Leaving early, however, is a different story.

"Miss Evans, you're late!" Shouted Mr Kegan, I heard snickers come from the other students in my class.

"No fucking shit Sherlock" I mumbled under my breath. With my head down, I walked to the back of the class and plonked myself down into a seat in the corner.

Class flew by in no time and so did all my other classes. It was the same as every other school day, however I hadn't seen Chastity at all. Which was a little odd. 

I was walking out of the school gate when I heard my name being called from across the old car park.

"Sky, wait up" I turned around, to see Chastity jogging towards me.

"Hey Chas, where were you all day?" I asked, curious as to where she was for the whole bloody day.

"I've been around. We aren't in any classes together though" She explained, upset. Chastity and I have always been in at least a couple of classes together, but Chas was right, we didn't have any classes together this year.