Chapter 1

meliskadk Thank You so much for the cover! The time and effort you put into it is appreciated! Dankie!

This story will mostly play out in South Africa. There will be some parts that are light and welcoming, and others that are not. 

Enjoy!

After quite a distance on a gravel road, travelling in a Mercedes Sprinter, I found myself staring at the scenery as they went along. Over eighteen hours on a flight out of Atlanta, to OR Thambo in Johannesburg, South Africa, and almost four hours by road to attend an auction with my father. We were outside some small town on the border of the Free State province. Mountains and wetlands were supposedly a given in the area from what I found out from the internet before leaving home.

Together with three other farmers from down South, my father and I came to South Africa to attend a cattle auction with the intention of getting our hands on embryos for breeding purposes.

As we came over a small hill, passing the reserve on our left, we got our first glance at some of the cattle on our right. Even though it was already dusk, the driver slowed down in order for us to look over some of the cows and their calves that were grazing near the road.

"Well I like what I am seeing," Gregory Dalton said from where he was sitting near the back.

"Excuse me Mandla, is there a way we can go closer?" Jackson Taylor, a 40-something year old rancher from South Dakota asked the driver.

"I am not sure sir; I have been tasked by my employer to be one of the designated drivers for today. Other than that, I have no authority on these lands," the man said with a heavy accent.

We looked at the animals some more before we went over another small hill and turned left into the nature reserve where we will be staying. Apparently from what the agent and representative for the stud let us know, they would be joining us for dinner tonight, and the rest of the week's schedule would be given through to us as well.

After the security let us in, we went in deeper to the reserve. Nearing a coffee shop, a small heard of zebra were grazing next to the road. Driving past the shop area, we went down a hill and drove further to where the chalets were. We could make out another Mercedes Sprinter parked there as well as some other vehicles. A large fire was already going and some people were standing around, talking.

The small bus parked and we got out, grabbing our bags. Whilst we were getting our luggage, someone came over to speak to the driver. A woman's voice sounded and I turned around as the woman was talking to Mandla. They were talking in a language I didn't understand and I watched as the woman showed Mandla where to go before shaking his hand.

"Good evening!" She greeted us as she came closer. Her features clearer now that she came closer to the chalets' lights. Her light brown hair was braided and fell over her right shoulder. Her blue eyes were friendly. She wasn't a classic beauty, as she was clearly not a small woman. But she carried herself with grace and confidence which in turn, showed a different type of beauty.

"Welcome to Seekoeivlei Nature Reserve! I also welcome you to South Africa! I am Anna Vermeulen, the one who has been in contact with everyone," she told us in general. Her eyes went over each of us, as though to commit our faces to memory. After looking at my father, her eyes fell on mine. A few brief moments later, she moved closer to my father and gripped his hand in greeting.

"Evening miss, the name's Nick Farrell and this is my son, James," my father said. I stepped forward, taking my hat off to greet her. As we took each other's hands in greeting, our eyes locked on each others, Anna's head tilted briefly with her right eyebrow arching.

"It is a pleasure meeting you. And once again, welcome! We are sure you will be enjoying your time here!" Anna gave me a small smile before greeting my countrymen.

My eyes followed the jean and boot clad Anna as she greeted the others.

"You are welcome to follow me; I can show you to the two chalets that have been allocated to you. After which you can settle down before joining us at the braai area where I can introduce you to the others," she smiled and lead the way to the two chalets at the end of the line. With eight chalets available, five were to be used by everyone here..

After showing us the chalets and giving us the keys, she gave a friendly smile and left us to get settled in. Turning away, she briefly looked at me before leaving.

My father and I took one chalet and went inside. Taking the room with the twin beds, I put my bags down on the second bed before going to wash my face. It has been quite a wild ride as of late. Getting more involved on a permanent basis on the farm, some personal issues and now being on a totally different continent to boot, it feels like I may need to stop and catch my breath a bit. Who knows though, maybe this may be just what I need to try and find myself once more.

I looked at myself in the mirror. Even though it has been a long flight to get here, the dark circles around my eyes have thankfully not gotten worse. It seems they may be getting lighter. I shake my head and make my way into the small kitchen area of the open space living area.

I faintly heard my father speaking to my mother on the phone in his bedroom. I look down at the cell in my own hand and I frown at seeing signal on it. I had hoped that we would be less reachable here. Before switching the thing off and leaving it here, I was unfortunately graced with a call. After letting it ring for a few moments, I answered it.