Chapter 2

As I left the Americans' to settle in, I found myself thinking about James. There was something about him. Whether it was his deep blue eyes or maybe just the immediate comfort I felt when near him, I wasn't sure.

I went back to the braai area where our five Brazilians and three Australians were mingling with my parents, the man in charge of the transport for our guests (a dear friend of mine who was willing to help transport everyone here and then back to OR Thambo at the end of the week) and my aunt and uncle (who was my dad's partner with the farm before he set out on his own with his own business).

"Anna hon, did they settle in well enough?" My mother, Corlea, asked from where she was sitting next to my aunt.

"Yes, I am sure they will be here in a few minutes. After which we can introduce them to everyone," I said. I walked over to join the conversation going on between one of the older Brazilians, Jose de Lamos, who also bred stud Ile De France sheep, and two of the Australians who farmed with Merino's.

Chatting about the wool prices and trends, I kept an eye out for when the others would be joining us. It wasn't too long before I saw four of the five coming our way. Walking over to them, I noticed James wasn't with them but I shrugged it off and introduced them to all the others who were present.

Nick, James' father, and my father got along well. They were currently having a conversation about the specific cattle breed's performance in feedlots whilst the others were all mixing about.

I was walking to my father's Land Cruiser which we used to come here tonight to put my phone inside, as I wouldn't need it till people started going in their different directions. Whilst walking there, I heard a voice coming from near the last chalet, which I vaguely placed as James'.

"Listen, I know it's asking a lot. But I want things finalized by the time I am back next week," he said. I didn't bother sticking around to hear the rest of which was clearly a confidential call, so I went about finishing up what I was doing and heading back to the guests.

As I was about to lock the car, I decided on taking my cardigan out just in case. For even though we were still in summer, we are also near the water so it may get a tad chilly before long.

As I finished my call, frowning at the damn signal that now doesn't exist and about to chuck my phone into the chalet, I noticed Anna walking back from a Toyota parked some feet away, with a top in hand.

What is it with her? She wasn't a classic beauty, but she seemed different. Well different than my normal preferences that was for sure. She wasn't some helpless damsel.

I shrugged it off, re-positioned my Stetson and walked over to where the others were all talking. I found my father talking to a dark haired man, in his fifties, so I joined them.

"Ah! This is my son James, James this is George Vermeulen. Anna's father and the owner of the Verlia stud," my father introduced us.

I took hold of the man's hand in greeting, whilst lifting my hat in respect. It was as though his light green eyes saw straight through me and whilst that may have been slightly intimidating, the feeling lightened drastically when he smiled at me.

"It's a pleasure meeting you James. I am sure we will be seeing much more of each other," he said.

"It's a pleasure to be here sir, from what I have seen so far, it is a lovely area."

He nodded briefly, "That it is. Though each area has its own beauty. Now if you would excuse me, I should go check on the fire for the braai," he excused himself and went over to the barbeque.

"Braai?" I asked my father, definitely pronouncing it wrong. He laughed and slapped me lightly on my shoulder, "It's the South African version of a barbeque. Apparently a bit different though but great."