Chapter 2

"So how was the mute dude with the sunglasses?" Karkat asked while we both cleaned the dishes that had been sitting in the sink for days,

"His name is Dave and he was pretty cool, I guess." I shrugged before passing Karkat a soapy plate for him to dry. I hadn't messaged Dave on pesterchum yet, mostly because I had been busy but also because I was slightly nervous.

Karkat gave me a small nudge with his elbow " You guess ?" he questioned in a suggestive tone and I couldn't help but chuckle as I tried not to blush.

"Okay, he's kind of cute now shut up." I admitted, Karkat immediately started grinning which was a little unnatural for his usually grumpy demeanor.

"I fucking knew it." Karkat snickered, he was silent after that but I could tell he was just extremely pleased with himself. He'd never admit it to anyone but he was the biggest romantic ever, sometimes I'd even catch him watching sappy romcoms in the middle of the night when he thought everyone had gone to sleep and he often borrowed romance novels from the library. If any of our friends had relationship troubles they'd go to Karkat, the 'expert in romance' even though he'd only been in a couple relationships before.

As soon as I'd finished helping Karkat with the dishes I receded back to my room, as I grabbed a hoodie I turned on my laptop and snuggled into my duva before I got frostbite. I logged onto pesterchum and entered Dave's chumhandle only to find that he was online.

-- ectoBiologist [EB] began pestering turntechGodhead [TG] --

EB: hey!

TG: oh hey

TG: wait this is john right

EB: yep, the one and only john egbert.

TG: is your last name actually egbert oh wow

EB: hey! what's wrong with it?

TG: nothing

TG: nothing at all

TG: egderp

EB: Oh haha, that's so original.

EB: wait, is your last name the same as rose?

TG: nah mines strider

EB: dang, how is anyone suppose to make a joke about that?

TG: i have the coolest cool kid name

TG: there is just no way anyone could make strider sound lame

TG: the universe as we know it would cease to exist if that happened

EB: are you sure, it's more of a rich white boy name hehe.

TG: youre gonna pay for that later egderp

EB: i'm sure i will.

EB: anyway, i thought it would be cool if we could meet up again!

EB: maybe we could watch the walking dead or meet up at some cafe, only if you want to of course.

EB: would tomorrow be alright?

TG: hell yea im down with that

EB: great! i'll meet you at your apartment tomorrow then.

TG: how do you know where i live

EB: oh wow, that sounded really stalkerish hehe sorry! rose gave me your address for some reason.

TG: of course

TG: anyway i got some stuff i gotta go do so ill see you tomorrow dude gnight

EB: alright, good night dave!

-- ectoBiologist [EB] ceased pestering turntechGodhead [TG] --

I closed my laptop and put it back on my desk before climbing back into bed, my anxiety was going crazy as I thought more and more about the conversation. It was hard not to smash my head into my pillow while worrying what Dave thought of me now. He probably just thought I was some weird dork, he seemed so calm and chill and it only made me feel worse. I was completely washed over with embarrassment and I continued to over analyse the whole chat until I could barely keep my eyes open and slowly fell asleep.