Into The Wild

Mike had luckily gathered most of the farmboys to the barn and fully had a plan for the capture. Mrs. Outerbridge was as impatient as ever, and she came walzing through to speak with him. It really was all too normal for Mike to be scowled when Susan was impatient.

                         "Mike! I'm in real need for a plan here..." the pioneer said, rubbing her hands to her apron in stress. "Now, you know me. I don't have all day for you cowboys to idle by all fine and dandy when there's a horse to go after in that prairie!"

                          The man gave a mean look. "Now--Susan. You heard me the first time, I'm working on the plan with the boys here! So how about you go and make women like yourself useful?" he huffed.

                           "Well-just make sure you boys are out of here in ten minutes!" she walked away.

---------------------------------

                            And as it turned out, the team was out with horses saddled.

                            "Alrighty..." Mike asserted to the group of young men. "Let's make this trip a swift one. Let's get going, the woodland park isn't waiting for us either..."

                             That's when one of the team came complaining. The young man underneath the velvety hat was Jacob, and the 18-year old didn't seem so confined with Mike's leadership. "Now what in all of California even are we doing out here, we should instead be in the barn with Nelly! The poor mammal needs some care, and all Mrs. Outerbridge wants is the money for this place!"

                             "Then I'll apologize another day." Mike said smoothly.

                             The cowboys looked unsatisfied. This time, Mike added, "I don't plan on being fired with all the money the Mr. and Mrs. is pleading for, and that's going for me and each one of you youngsters....so let's head out."

----------------------------------------

(Mare's POV)

                                 I'm galloping to face this wind in my mane, the herd is staying strong behind my lead. The valley is closing in, until we encounter a mountain of rock up ahead. The herd is mighty thirsty at this point. There has to be a water hole popped up somewhere in the mud, all that there is here is rock formations that birds nest in.

                                 I stop to snort in frustration, we've been on the move for days from those two-legged beings to the south of us. And those wild pigs are always lapping up the last moisture. I can hear those creatures from in the woods beyond, squealing up a storm and rummaging for scraps of food.

                                  The place looks empty for a minute. "Nothing here." I rested my case. "The pigs got the water again." I spy some pointed tracks soaked in the mud and some smaller, dirtier animals came rampaging through.