Noah

There are a few emotions that you can name as soon as you feel them: Grief, regret, joy, and love.

I spent 15 years and 10 days of my life on the earth before I felt anything stronger than a little crush on a girl. 15 years and 11 days into my life and I met the girl I would love for the rest of my natural life.

She had bangs at the time, and freckles dotted her nose, and she bit her lip all the time and her nails were still short. I was a kid, and I was in love with her.

Thoroughly in love, too. It wasn't one of those 10 minute phases that you get over as soon as you see someone just as pretty. No; I was never going to come back from this.

I began to imagine my life with her in it. I wrote songs about her, and spent nights next to my window, trying to find any constellation that was as beautiful as she was to me.

I'd rehearsed any conversation that I had potential to have with her, and always turned out to be too nervous to actually engage in them with her.

One day, in english class, she asked me who I thought was most to blame for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet.

I looked her in the eye, the first time I ever had, and told her that it was Romeo's fault. He may have loved Juliet, but it's just as easy to suffer in silence as it is to stir the pot and make things worse for himself.

She asked me how I knew.

I breathed deeply.

"Well this is the first time you're hearing that I'm in love with you, isn't it?"