Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

The next day, my mother woke me as usual. It was a day like any other to her. Not to me. When I walked into the kitchen, my mother's mouth gaped and then she smiled.

"I'm glad you're finally wearing jeans," she said. "You'll fit in much better."

Breakfast was mostly in silence. Mom kept trying to start a conversation, but I grunted one word answers until she gave up. Afterwards, I slung my book bag over my shoulder and left the house.

The school bus stop was a block away, so I walked in that direction, but I didn't wait for the bus. I kept walking, not knowing where I was going, but knowing I would not go to school.

It turned out to be the longest day of my life with nothing to do and no one to talk to.

I couldn't wait to get home. I was starving. As bad as the school cafeteria food was, it was at least filling. So I was almost running when it was time to return home, but my luck couldn't have been worse. The few kids who got off the school bus at my stop were filing out of it. I ducked behind a bush, crouching like a criminal, peeking to see if they were gone.

My eyes opened wide when I saw Tyler Harrington. This wasn't his stop. The others dispersed, leaving Tyler standing by himself. What was he doing there? And then he began walking—walking in the direction of my house. He couldn't be...

I jumped up and ran to him while calling his name. He turned with a puzzled expression.

"Kayla, where'd ya come from? You weren't on the bus."

"No, I uh—"

He waited for me to finish, but I didn't know what to say.

"You weren't in school," he said. "I thought you were sick. I—"

"Tyler, I'm okay. I just didn't feel like going to school today."

He looked at me and then his eyes lowered. "Was it because of what happened yesterday?"

"You know?"

Tyler looked up and blushed. "Yeah, it sorta got spread around."

I started crying. I couldn't help it. When Tyler wrapped his arms around me I pressed the side of my face against his chest and hugged him back. He didn't say anything. He just held me.

Only when my crying stopped did Tyler release me. I looked up at his face and saw the sadness. He forced a smile, but it was more like pressed lips.

"Will ya be in school tomorrow?" he asked.

"No."

"Ya havta go to school."

"I can't."

"But ya havta."

He was right, of course, but I couldn't. I shook my lowered head. When I looked up, it was my turn to force a smile.

"I'll be okay. I'll figure out what to do."

Tyler said goodbye and left. He looked over his shoulder one time, but then disappeared around a corner. I didn't even know where he lived and wondered how he knew where I did. I dried my cheeks and went home.

           *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

( If you like this story, don't forget to vote.  )