Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

The morning began like all the mornings before it since moving to the small town. I dreaded breakfast knowing I would hear the same thing from my mother I heard every school day. Standing behind the wall, I took a deep breath and let the air out. Only then did I stomp into the kitchen. My mother's eyes scanned me from head to toe as I rushed to my chair.

Before I was even seated, Mom said, "Kayla, you should—"

I slapped the table. "Please, not again. This is the way I dress." I buried my face in my hands.

"Why can't you wear jeans like the other girls?"

I shook my head from side to side. "Because I'm not like the other girls."

"Kayla..."

My mother's trailing off voice caused me to look up. I saw the pain on her face, but I wasn't going to let a bunch of self-righteous, small-town girls run my life. They needed to move into the twenty-first century, not force me to be as backwards as them. They dressed like boys. Some even wore overalls. Okay, maybe they needed to milk the cows before school, but they could change. What's wrong with looking like a girl?

"Look, Mom, I'll be okay. It's just that I'm new in school. They'll get used to me."

Now it was my mother who shook her head. I knew she was right, but it wouldn't be me who gave in. They'd all think I was weak if I did. Anyway, I was right.

Nothing more was said so I finished my breakfast and, with a peck on my mother's cheek, dashed out the door before she could say anything more.

After a boring bus ride, I transferred the books not needed until after lunch from my book bag to my hall locker. I spun around when I heard a noise behind me. Martha Weathers was flanked by her two cronies, Jessica Abernathy and Susan Meyers. The girls on the ends shuffled forward forming a semi-circle that trapped me. But it was Martha my eyes were locked on. It wasn't only that she was taller than me—when you're 5'1" everyone is taller—but Martha was six or seven inches taller. And she was broad, outweighing me by a good forty pounds.

I backed up against the cold metal of the locker and stared up at her, maintaining eye contact, clenching my teeth. She wouldn't dare hit me in school.

Martha pointed a calloused, stubby finger inches from my nose and said, "Stay away from our boyfriends."

My jaw dropped and my mouth hung open. "What! I never even spoke to them."

"They look at you all the time. They're interested in you."

"Well, I'm not interested in them. Now leave me alone. I have to get ready for first period."

Martha's eyes narrowed and for a moment I thought she was going to hit me. All she did, however, was huff and glare down at me.

I don't now what would have happened next if Tyler Harrington hadn't called out, "Hey, Kayla, did ya do your math homework?"

Martha turned and scowled. Then she said, "Beat it. We're talking."

Tyler stopped walking to look from one girl to the next. He was a boy, and was bigger than me, but not the athletic type and I was sure Martha could beat him up. He held his ground. After an eternity of silence, Martha stormed away with her two friends rushing after her.

"Thanks, Tyler."

"No problemento. They're still bothering ya, ain't they?"

My chin dropped to my chest and I nodded. I felt Tyler's hand on my shoulder, but as soon as I looked up he jerked it away.

"Let's go to first period," I said while closing my locker.

Tyler was my only friend. But he was a boy and I couldn't tell him things I used to tell my best girlfriend in my old school. Moving to this small, conservative town had made my life miserable.

          *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

( If you like this story, don't forget to vote.  )