Chapter 5

The snow was letting up now that the sun was placed in the sky, high above the town. She could feel its rays trying to break out of the gloomy gray clouds, just trying to touch her face. The snow had gotten so deep that if she veered off the sidewalk, it would be knee deep. (Y/N) had enough time at that hospital to last her an eternity. And it was even more like a lifetime when her sister came.

     For about an hour or so, the doctors and nurses fiddled and strolled in and out of the room to check on her father. The time had gone by so slowly, almost at a snail's crawl. But what made (Y/N) even more uncomfortable was when her sister finally showed up.

     "Where were you?" Her eyes rested upon her eldest sibling, (Y/N) could not believe that she was late with her work being so close.

     She had arrived with a brown, fake leather purse that was coming apart near the edges. Her snow boots were worn, the same as (Y/N)'s; while she was bundled up in a dark blue snow jacket with many zippers hanging off. Her hair was frizzy from being under the hood for so long.

     Breathily, she ignored the question completely. "Is he okay?" (Y/S/N) pressed her hands against the glass, her cheeks flushed from the cold most likely. (Y/N) looked in with her, a moment of silence between the two. She had not seen her sister for a few weeks, nor had they been in much communication. But ever since what happened to their father, (Y/N)'s sister tried to keep as little contact as possible between the two.

     "(Y/S/N), where were you?" There was more urgency and demanding this time around. Though she was the younger one, she would never let her sister ignore her.

     Sharply, she snapped her head over, "It was the snow and traffic, Jesus. I can't control the weather, Princess."

   "Don't call me that. You're just using that to tick me off, we both know it."

    "Oh, do we, Princess?" (Y/S/N)'s voice was less of a mocking tone and more of deadpan. And she knew that was what her little sister hated most of all.

    "Why not try and act like an adult for once?"

    "Speak for yourself."

     Again, silence. (Y/N) was fuming. Why did she always have to be so aggravating and challenging all the time? Couldn't she act like the bigger sister for once? Doctor Dougherty had said that he would like to see the both of them, but right now did not seem like the time that either of them could find common ground to be productive.

     Her nose scrunched up, holding back any insults that were liable to slip out in the next few seconds. "Look, I don't want to do this today. Dad is in a bad enough shape as is and-"