Chapter 4: Diner

As we enter I couldn't help but notice Rylan, his soon to be Beta Chris and a couple of other warriors sitting at one of the booths....I mean how could I not, they're talking and laughing so loud you can hear it all the way to Mars.

The three of us take a seat, Nate and Eva on one side of the booth and I on the other. The waitress comes and I order a chocolate shake while Eva and Nate decide to share a strawberry one.

"So what are we going to do for our birthday's?" Eva says breaking the silence.

"Well what can we do, you know it's mandatory for all pack members to attend the soon-to-be Alpha's coming of age celebration...the what do they call it? The Alpha's Ball. And lucky for us Rylan's birthday just so happens to fall on the same day as ours." I say dejectedly.

"Right...well the Alpha's Ball doesn't start until 8 pm, so we have all afternoon to hang out and make the most of it before we have to go to his party" Nates chimes in.

"Yeaaah so once again I ask: what do you guys want to do tomorrow?" Eva presses.

"Well I was kinda hoping you'll ditch school with me. We can go to the beach, have a nice picnic and we can stare at the sun till our eyes burn out." I giggle at the way Nate words it.

"I just want to appreciate the love I have for you without the mate bond, before everything intensifies you know." Nate says with a hopeful gleam in his eye as he turns to look at Eva.

"Okay you big doof." she says looking at Nate with love in her eyes and a goofy smile on her lips.

"When school ends we'll meet up with you Paige by the oakwood tree and we can all hang out at your house before getting ready for the ball yeah?" Eva says to me.

"Sounds good." I say.

After we finished talking about our plans for tomorrow Nate steared the conversation to him and his dance moves and we just keep on talking about anything and everything. At one point, I was laughing so hard at something Eva had said that I didn't see someone had approached our table until the shadow loomed over me. I instantly stopped laughing and turned to my left.

"Hey Paige right?" Chris, the soon to be Beta, asked.

"Um yeah, what's up" I awkwardly said.

"Well I was just wondering do you maybe kinda want to go out sometime..." He said scratching the back of his neck shyly.

I was speechless and I'm pretty sure my eyes popped out of my head. He has never even talked to me before and now here he was asking me out? "Um...what?" I asked dumbfounded. I was about to open my mouth again when he yelled "Sike!!!" then as if on cue, I hear people start laughing. I turned around to find Rylan and his friends rolling over in laughter over my shocked face.

"Look, Paige I'm sorry it was a dare and I had to follow through. Don't take it personally alright." He said before leaving, still chuckling might I add and not bothering to hide it.

"Jerks" Eva and I muttered at the same time.

"I'll be back let me just..." Nate said getting up to follow after him. "No!" I yelled and as soon as he stood he sat back down by the tug Eva gave on his shirt. "You can't go after him Nate. He's going to be the Beta tomorrow and you can't just go starting fights with the leaders of this pack."

"Soon to be leaders you mean. They're not yet and I think I can get in a good two punches before they knock me out." Nate interjected.

"Look I appreciate you trying but I think we should just go. It's getting late and you don't want to get a black eye the day before your birthday right." I finished while getting up to leave.