I Make Charlie Spreyman Do a Double Take

Charlie Spreyman usually pulled out of her driveway in her blue Mini-Coop about a minute before I pulled out of my driveway in my green Camaro.

                But on Monday, I pulled into her driveway just as she was scraping the ice off her windshield.

                "Is this my chariot?" she asked, crossing her arms and leaning back against the hood of her car.

                "Couples carpool, don't they?" I asked.

                "Hmm.....we're a couple?"

                "Are we?"

                "I want to hear you say it."

                I grinned, unbuckled, and got out of my car. I walked over to her and took her cold, mitten-clad hands in mine.

                "We are a couple. You, Charlie Spreyman, are my girlfriend, and I am your boyfriend."

                She smiled. "Mmm...Kiss me."

                And I did. And it was nice.

                Charlie Spreyman usually eats lunch in the cafeteria at a round table with two chairs by herself. She usually has a notebook in her lap and her feet are propped up in the empty chair.

                I usually sit with a group of "friends" who are insignificant to this story. I wasn't very attached to them, anyway.

                But on the Monday that I had driven Charlie Spreyman to school, when she carried her tray toward her table, she looked up form the notebook she'd been trying to simultaneously read and stopped,  looking a little dumbfounded.

                She awkwardly finished the walk to the table and looked at me.

                "It's weird," she said, smoothing her skirt as she sat.

                I reached out for her hand, which she accepted.

                "Don't worry," I said, "I haven't given you any embarrassing pet names yet.

                She laughed, and then looked away for a moment.

                "What's wrong?" I asked.

                She bit her lip. "It's nothing, Aaron, really.....I just wondered if you might want to actually go on a date sometime?"

                Oh. Yes.

                "I'd love to. When? Where?"