Chapter 14

REMMI - Awake, Asleep

Jessa stepped out onto the stone steps, closing the doors behind her as quietly as possible. She breathed in the warm scent of fresh air contentedly, rubbing her arms.

The woman had not said anything. The last thing Jessa saw before the dreams ended was her fingers trailing down the bark, nails long and sharp. It made her think of the tigers in the South, dangerous than their kin in the other Continents.

People would be coming out soon, which meant Jessa had to go now or never. Sure, she could go the next day, but an invisible pull seemed to lure her towards the largest tower, the royal's tower. The only place she knew with the largest collection of books in the Keep. She needed answers now, and something told her it would be there.

Keeping her head down, Jessa made her way towards the tower.

Raya. Maybe she can help.

Could she, though? Jessa wasn't sure if she could trust the princess to that level yet.

I'll just ask her for a few books, that's all. Except she wasn't certain if Raya allowed borrowing her books or not. She wasn't even exactly sure what she wanted either.

She trudged slowly, as if that would help her think it through. It didn't.

You will know when you see it.

Jessa promptly stopped in her tracks, blinking. Then she scowled.

"Oh, now you decide to help me?" She grumbled.

If only she had a coat with her. It'd make her look more practical with her paper-thin clothes. And there was comfort in being able to touch something just to be distracted.

Her fingers brushed against the vines as Jessa went through the secret passage, up to the top floors of the large tower. She reached out with one arm and pressed it against the wall, feeling the rough surface of the stone. It grazed her skin.

The image of the Faerie woman smiling came back to her. Jessa deliberately lifted her hand off the wall.

I want to know who you are.

She'd figured out the creepy sensation she felt whenever there was the woman's presence. Or at least, she thought she did. There was a type of familiarity to it, as if . . .

As if they've met before outside of dreams and memories.

Impossible. How could they have met? The woman was a Faerie, practically a goddess in the South. Jessa had never seen a Faerie like her before.

This shall not be the last time we meet, the woman had told her. It was hard to tell if that had actually happened or was simply a dream. But now that they had met for the second time that night, it made Jessa all the more suspicious.

It couldn't be a coincidence. It couldn't.

She arrived in front of Raya's chambers, and knocked. There were no guards in sight.

"Come in," a muffled voice called from inside.

When she entered inside, she saw Raya sitting on the windowsill. A book was in her hands, so worn out it looked about to fall apart any second.

Raya looked up at her and smiled. It was the type of smile that'd make men kneel down to her and do whatever she wanted. It was a wonder how the princess wasn't promised to any suitor yet.

"Is there something you need?" The princess asked. Sweet, so sweet.

Jessa gently closed the door behind her, leaning against it and tapping her fingers against the wooden surface.