CHAPTER 4: Trails

As Colin found himself coming to the edge of the tree line and after a few days in the forest, it felt good for him to finally emerge.
However, even though being in the Openland felt amazing, it was also extremely hazardous. Bandits would scout the fields most mornings and anyone who was lucky enough to own a firearm, particularly a sniper, scanned open areas from hilltops and in the cover of trees.
It was a risk, but to move around, the open was the only option. There were no paths, no trails and any roads that used to exist were the most dangerous places to follow due to the amount of traps bandits tend to leave.

Colin breathes heavily, his previous encounter and the possibility of being picked off by a rogue sniper scout worried him intensely. Even though the urge to sprint to the nearest bush or tree was strong, the safest way to traverse the Openland was to go steadily and slowly, as to not make any sudden movements.
He started slowly walking out of the tree line, looking around scanning for any activity.
Suddenly, just as Colin stepped away from the tree line, he heard a loud rustle behind him. Colin quickly turned around, heart beating, waiting.
"Who's t-there?" he stated worryingly.
Another rustle echoed into Colin's ears and out came a wild cat.

"Jesus Christ!" he bent over and pet the cat, which continued to growl and hiss at him, "alright then, have it your way."

Colin stepped out into the open and sighed, he had to once again navigate the Openland with no map or sense of direction, for now, the best he could do was travel to the nearest landmark, which in his case was a long line sticking over the horizon. Unbeknownst to Colin, this would lead him to his next ordeal.