The Solstice Party - Chapter 2

I pick up my embroidery off the side table. A collection of little pink flowers are clustered in one corner, their petals made of soft silk ribbon. I hadn't picked this up in a long time but mother would want me to work on something she deemed worthwhile, and embroidery is the epitome of feminine virtue in her eyes.

I am about to head back downstairs when my eye catches the stain on my gown. I quickly undress and switch to an equally white dress with an identical pattern. I probably wouldn't be able to scrub that stain out but thinking I would try later, I lay the dress across the armchair beside my door.

When I arrive at the bottom of the stairs, mother is sitting by the crackling fire. The flames give her face a warm rosy colour, an unusual softness. She looks up from her own embroidery and motions for me to come sit by her. I settle myself on top of a cushion on the ground beside her seat and focus my gaze on the floor. I actually have something I want to ask her. Every year there is a summer solstice festival in which the gods would have their servants prepare the most glorious party with such fantastical decorations, roses made of gold, a magnificent display of fireworks, endless food and wine and everybody who was anybody would be there. Mother goes because she is one of the main gods and it would be rude not to drop by, but otherwise she claims it is a vile gathering where all manner of vice occur (her words, not mine).

She has always refused to take me, saying I was too young. One year, I had been so disappointed in her refusal that I forced her to promise me when I turned 18 she would finally bring me along. This year is that year. 

"Mother, do you remember that time when you were about to go to the solstice party and I had cried and cried for you to let me come with you but you refused?" She keeps working but with a slight smirk marking her face.

"Of course I remember. You had always been such a calm child, I had never seen you act so bizarrely before, I thought you would get sick from the tantrum you threw."

"Well, do you also remember how you calmed me down by promising to take me when I turned 18?" I focus on her eyes and she looks back at me, both our bodies freeze - mine with anticipation and hers with caution.

"No." She says this so solidly that I for a moment think this is all useless, and that there would be no hope in me ever going, but I am also not one to quit so easily and after all, she did promise.

"No what? You promised me you would allow me to accompany you when I was old enough and I'm old enough now." I insist with vehemence, my eyes not breaking from hers in a struggle for power.

"Absolutely not, it was a silly and stupid promise that I said to cease your wailing, you were a child, I had hoped you would forget."

"But mother I haven't and I'm begging you to let me go"

"Don't you understand how terrible the people there are, their world may look beautiful but underneath Persephone, they are all narcissistic and careless beings that would love to take advantage of someone as unworldly and pure as you." That word again, pure, I hated it so much.

"Mother please, let me go with you tonight," she is already shaking her head "and I won't ask for the rest of this year to go anywhere else." She hesitates, her eyebrow raises as she thinks over my proposition. 

"For the rest of this entire year?"

"Yes, I promise." I look at her with sincere eyes, wishing with all my heart that she does let me come with her.

"Fine, but you stay within my sight the entire night, do you understand" I nod vehemently. I can't believe this is actually happening!

"Oh thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I drop my embroidery on the floor and hug her. This will be amazing. I can't wait! Solstice party, here I come!