Wine and Towels - Chapter 5

I turn around, already apologizing profusely. The man I had bumped into wasn't even looking at me, instead he was looking down. My eyes follow his gaze to a half empty wine glass and a stain on his black shirt. Oh no.

"Oh no! I'm so sorry. Here give me a moment. Let me get you a towel!" I swivel around quickly before he can speak and take a couple steps forward, then I stop. A towel. I look right, then left. Where am I supposed to find a towel? I could probably find a diamond the size of my fist before I would find something as insignificant as a towel. I run to one of the tables with piles of platters. Ok there is food, so there must be napkins or handkerchiefs around. Right?

Who am I kidding? I am in the company of elite gods, who even knows the guidelines of their table etiquette? I look around anyway; gold cutlery, silver bowl, jewel-encrusted vase dripping what looked to be wine on the floor. Well, now what-

I turn around again and come face to face with the wine stain on the black shirt. 

"So I looked for a napkin but there doesn't seem to be any... here..." My words drift off as I begin to focus on the person standing in front of me. Whoa. I would make a joke about how I was looking at a god but being here, I probably was. His grin tilted to one side and his eyes - which were a blueish grey - were alight with mischief and amusement that sparkled like a gem.

"Don't worry about it." He laughs. "I tried to stop you from going but you were so focused on your task I don't think you heard me call out to you." I look at his lips while he speaks, and just shake my head in response. Then I force myself to get it together. I'm being silly. I don't know him, he looks good but that's it. And... if I keep my promise to Mother, I will never see him again. 

So I shouldn't waste the time I have. 

"No. I didn't hear you but speaking of which, would you like to go to the balcony again? I can't hear you very well now either." There is a rowdy group of people standing near us, one of them is drunk and swaying, loudly proclaiming he can throw the apple in his hand at any target and not miss. Mr Blue-eyed God leaned in to hear what I was saying. He smells like the woods, pine trees, rain and a whiff of something else I couldn't figure out. It makes me feel slightly dizzy and I have to concentrate on not lingering on the scent.

When I finish talking, he leans in even closer, his mouth with those ever-captivating lips moving toward my cheek as he says, "I would like that. Come." 

He puts his hand out for me and I reach across the space between us and lay my own hand in his. His hand is so warm, I don't want this walk to end. My eyes trail up his arm, over the shirt, taut over his broad shoulders until I gaze at the back of his head noting the texture of his hair; black and loosely curly. It reminds me of the merman's hair just dry and much more soft looking. At that moment he turns and smiles at me as we pass through the open doors and out into the warm night air.

*It's late, I'm tired. I'll probably edit this later. Enjoy!