5

Jenkins pictured Ariel with the Doctor and felt a sudden urge to prevent the fairy to leave with him.

"Aren't you at least curious to know more about the bracelet?" He asked. "For instance, how it works?"

The Doctor thought about it for a second then he used his sonic to study the item.

"Oh, now that it's active, I have access to a brand new set of data!" He said happily.

Ariel was staring at the green glow with such awe that it made the Caretaker cringe. The Time Lord quickly brushed the screwdriver over her bracelet as well and checked the results.

"Impressive piece of technology... It locks on the magnetic resonance of the carrier, becoming a part of it."

"Alright, but why? And furthermore, how does the bond work?" insisted Jenkins.

"I can't have an answer for everything, now, can I?" shrugged the Doctor.

"How did you get the bracelet in the first place?" asked the Caretaker to the fairy.

She smiled as she remembered old memories.

"It was a long time ago, in London. This Chinese man saw me with Prospero and decided to free me. Of course, it was impossible, he didn't have the strength. There was nothing he could do except offer me the illusion of freedom. He gave me the same bracelet that he was wearing. He said that no one would be able to pull us apart. And indeed, when we left, he managed to find me again..."

The fairy's voice trailed off. Jenkins gently put an arm around her shoulders:

"You loved him..."

"And he loved me in return."

The Time Lord was resting against a bookcase, looking at Ariel and the Caretaker. He smiled:

"The Red String of Fate. That's why the bracelet can't be removed."

"You're certainly not soulmates," snapped Jenkins. "Knowing you, it's just an experiment gone wrong."

The Doctor was about to reply, but decided against it. Clearly the old man cared a lot for the young woman. He suddenly realised that he would probably have reacted the same way if a total stranger appeared from nowhere to take Clara from him...

"Those bracelets are very powerful. It would be interesting to know for what exact purpose they have been created..."

He paused. A question had crossed his mind:

"Who are you anyway?"

"She is Ariel, a spirit from The Tempest. Long story," explained Jenkins.

"Oh, fascinating indeed... I really like where all this is going."

The Time Lord's eyes were shining with delight. The Caretaker sighed:

"Alright, let's start again. Where did you find the bracelet?"

The Doctor told them about his collection of displaced objects from Earth, how he had located the jewel, stole it and escaped the angry aliens.

"I can't explain it – which is odd – but when I saw the inscription, I just knew I had to wear the bracelet..." He concluded dreamingly.

"What inscription?"

"I shall lead the way and bring you back to Ariel."

As soon as he spoke the words, both bracelets started to glow. Pure energy escaped and formed an intricate network over the Doctor and the fairy.

"So that's how it works," smiled the Doctor. "Bonding two compatible energies..."

"But what for? And how did the bracelet end up on an alien world in the first place?"

Jenkins was growing impatient. He wanted answers but more importantly he needed to know that the girl would be safe.

"I suppose Ariel's last companion decided to break up. Maybe he tried to escape as far away as possible from the bracelet's influence. Or maybe the bracelet sent him here."

"What happened to him?" Asked the fairy.

"He died," bluntly replied the Doctor, revealing that he had found bone dust when he had analysed the item on the planet. So I would suggest that whatever we do, we do it together for the time being."

"Maybe Jenkins can help investigating? In the meantime I could try your lifestyle," suggested Ariel

The Caretaker's face expressed a mix of different feelings.

"I will conduct some research and find a way to free you from the bracelet's influence, but I strongly recommend that you don't leave."

"Would you rather have him poking around your dear Annex?" Asked the fairy.

The Doctor was already looking around, disturbing books and objects to satisfy his curiosity.

"I guess not," smiled Ariel when she saw Jenkins' disapproving look.

She then turned towards the Time Lord:

"How should I go?"

"Doctor."

"Doctor who?"

"We are going to get on very well with each other, Ariel... I can't wait to introduce you to the T.A.R.D.I.S..."