Two - Pride & Prejudice

2 – Pride & Prejudice

Ben hadn't stopped smiling for three days straight now. He was currently tidying the shelves, putting the books back in order after the customers had managed to muddle them up while browsing. Normally this task would inspire irritation and a deep dissatisfaction with the blatant disregard for literature people displayed these days, but today he drifted from shelf to shelf in an enamoured bliss.

Since the triumphant establishment of contact with the girl across the road, Ben had now received four smiles and a little laugh from her when he accidentally walked into a shelf – and he couldn't be happier with his progress. He had always assumed that things were better when she hadn't noticed him because that meant his view of her would be forever unspoilt, she could be eternally perfect, but somehow, much to his surprise, this reciprocation just made things even better. Now, the imaginary connection had become a real one; the dream was coming true.

Suddenly, Ben heard the jingle of the shop door and watched Hugh majestically sweep into the shop, depositing his brown leather satchel behind the till and flopping down on the velvet sofa in the corner.

"Morning, my good man," he greeted Ben, "Sorry I'm a bit late. Bumped into Tilsy on the way and she needed to tell me how her pony's doing after the surgery."

"No problem," Ben smiled, "I barely even noticed what time it was."

"What's up with you? You're grinning like a loon," Hugh commented, grabbing an apple from his pocket and crunching into it. Normally Hugh's noisy eating drove Ben up the wall, but today he was barely bothered by it.

"I'm in love, Hugh," Ben declared, letting out a little sigh and leaning against the bookshelf dramatically.

"Oh yes, I forgot about your little silent relationship with the nameless girl across the street," he chuckled. "How's that going? Proposed yet? Any kids on the way?"

"She laughed at me, Hugh."

"Well, don't we all."

"No, in a good way. A pretty laugh. An 'I-don't-know-you-yet-but-I-feel-an-inexplicable-connection-with-you' kind of laugh."

"Oh, that kind. You should have said sooner, old boy."

"I know you think I'm insane, but I actually, genuinely, really like her. I have no idea how, but I just know that we'd be perfect together," Ben sighed wistfully, his eyes drifting back to the window.

"Well, although I do think you've completely lost it, I have to admit that people have fallen in love in stranger circumstances. And the enamoured gentleman longing from afar is a common motif in literature, just look at Jay Gatsby."

"I probably wouldn't count Gatsby as a success story."

"Or Romeo and Juliet, Heathcliff and Catherine," Hugh listed.

"Yes, not really inspiring confidence here," Ben muttered.

"Well, my point is that it's not totally out of the question," Hugh summarised.

"How very encouraging of you," Ben laughed, retreating into the storeroom before his friend could compare him to anymore doomed lovers.

He started checking the new stock that had been delivered that morning and found himself smiling fondly at the illustrations of men and women embracing each other on the beautifully designed covers. He wanted to celebrate the warm feeling radiating through his chest and every ode to love he came across made his heart leap with joy.

He whistled a cheerful tune as he carried the heavy box through to the shop, ready to fill the shelves with the new novels. He could hear Hugh conversing with someone but assumed it was just a customer who had wandered in while he had been away.