The Family Business

Chapter Two

A scream ripped its way from my throat as I was tossed back, back colliding with a tractor that had been abandoned long ago. Pain exploded throughout my body, and I struggled to breathe as I collapsed into a heap on the ground.

The vampire was snarling madly, fangs jutting out from its lips as I tried to find my footing.

"You're going to end up just like them." I stumbled around, trying to run. My foot connected with something and I fell back down, heart thudding painfully against my chest. I couldn't breathe when I saw what I had tripped on. It was Dan. His throat had been torn wide open, sinewy muscle falling from the gash. His lifeless eyes bore into mine.

"It's your fault. I'm dead because of you!" His mouth hadn't moved, but that was definitely his voice. I shook my head.

"It's not true!" I yelled.

"You could have saved us, but you just had to have your normal life, didn't you?"

I gasped, bolting upright in bed. Sweat clung to my skin, and my heart was racing. It took me a moment to realize I was in my bedroom, and upon the realization I collapsed back into my bed. I sighed heavily, trying to get the images of Dan out of my mind. It wasn't my fault.

But that reassurance didn't do anything to stop me from feeling guilty. Sunlight spilled in through the curtains of my room, and I removed myself from the bed, figuring a shower would help.

It didn't. The hot water only served as a way for me to clear my head and remember last night. They were all dead. I thought back to when the first of my co-workers stopped showing up. My heart suddenly dropped at a thought. Only three of them had turned up. But we had been losing people since the beginning of the month.

Why had I never thought anything of it? Sure, the diner hired people that decided to never come back all the time, but this? Surely I should have noticed? I shook the thought aside. What's done is done, I couldn't beat myself up about the past.

Not that I wouldn't try.

* * *

There was a tense atmosphere throughout the diner, and though no one would mention it, they sure as hell could feel it. There wasn't the normal lively chatter, the clink of mugs as people celebrated, laughter. Aside from the murmurs, it was quiet. The occasional glance cast my way or anyone else who worked here clued me in to the question that was on everyone's mind.

Who was next?

"Mia, table 2 needs refills on their coffee." I looked over towards the voice, grateful for the distraction. It was my best friend Julie. She worked at the diner as well, and had been the first person I met when I stumbled into town. She'd even helped me find a house. I smiled, and she shot me a blindingly bright smile back, brown eyes lighting up. And unlike most, it wasn't forced. It seemed as though she was the only one trying to lighten the heavy mood of the entire town.

She shot me a wink when I nodded and spun on her heel, black ponytail whipping out behind her. It brought a smile to my face, and I shook my head. Leave it to Julie to pull a smile from anyone, no matter their mood.

I quickly gave the customers their refills, and once I saw that all of my tables were set for the moment, I headed behind the counter to catch my breath. Julie bumped her hip into mine as she came to stand beside me.

"What's a pirate's favorite letter?" She asked, and I rolled my eyes, but found myself grinning. I knew the punchline, but I humored her anyways.

"R?" I offered, refraining from rolling my eyes once more. Her grin matched mine.