Doubts

EMIRA

              It took me a while to take in what Austin said. He left a while ago, excusing himself. I knew he wasn't happy about the idea of me defending Ryan. I mean, Ryan is such a sweet guy; he was there to console me, and was always so kind. I don't know why they hated each other, why they had this tension between them, why they never got along. I don't know what to do about this. Austin was over protective at times, he was wrong about Ryan. Ryan could never, ever, do something as awful as that. My mind was full of thoughts. For a fleeting second I thought I could speak to Tina about this. When reality hit me, I had nothing to hold on to. I lay, sprawled, on my bed when my eyes landed on the camera, sitting on the bedside table. I haven't given much attention to it earlier; I was only bothered about what it does. Now that I was paying attention, I realized it looked similar to the Instax mini camera, it was sleek and black. My mind was racing now. This camera is a freaking miracle.

           I finally let the whole camera-thing sink in and I could swear and tell, never have I ever been this appalled before

           I finally let the whole camera-thing sink in and I could swear and tell, never have I ever been this appalled before. Tina's never showed me this thing and she got it for her birthday, from my parents. Did my parents know the camera's powers? My thoughts abruptly came to a halt at the word 'powers'. To make sure I wasn't dreaming, I got up and clicked a random picture of the space ahead of me, that is, the bathroom door. The dial was set at 30 minutes. Out came a picture of Austin, raking his hair. It was when he walked out of the bathroom, minutes before I confronted him. Austin looked so handsome; his dark eyes were enchanting with that twinkle in them. Austin was almost mine, but there was something separating us, maybe it was this whole Ryan issue. I couldn't believe Austin was having Ryan stalked. 

         The idea of Ryan murdering his own best friends was ridiculous. He loved his friends. Ryan and I had gone to the same middle-school and he was famous back then, too. My sister and her friends met him in college and ever since then, they were all the best of friends. My sister. She did well in her studies. Paid on her own for her education. And here's me, jobless. I planned on taking online classes but I didn't have enough money. I was saving every penny that I could. My mind kept wandering as I contemplated the hardships when my phone started ringing.

RYAN

She picked up after the third ring.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Emira. This is Ryan. Um, I called to inform you that a funeral service will be held tomorrow for Carol at 11. Will you come?" I spoke into the phone nervously.

"Oh, hi. Yes, sure. Will Austin be there?" The mention of his name pissed me off. Carol was Hugo's sister. Austin and Hugo were best friends since grade school. So, obviously Austin was gonna be there. Ugh!

"Yeah. I guess." I answered.

"Okay, I'll be there."

"See you" I said, the corners of my mouth lifted to form a faint smile.