five

•the mistake•

I checked all the notifications on my phone while Sadie and Noah got some food from the small buffet when I got a dm from Grace. I opened it to see a picture of myself smiling and looking away as Finn looks in my direction.

My heart skipped a beat.

millie: uh wtf are you stalking me?? lol

grace: no, i uh got it from.. sources

millie: what sources?!

grace: check snap, i uh, gotta go

millie: GRACE WAIT

seen

Confused, I opened Snapchat and checked all of my streaks and stories. At last, I stumbled upon the same picture Grace sent me on Sadie's story. 'Noah, you little' I thought to myself. Yet I still smiled when I saw the picture.

Once Sadie and Noah got back to our table, and I yelled at Noah for the picture he posted, I went up and got some water. I took a few small sips, then went to get some food. I returned to my table with a full plate of delicious penne with tomato sauce, spinach, and cheese. Lastly, I went to go refill my water. The only thing was, I hadn't drank it.

"Guys, I swear I drank this water, but it's full," I laughed to Sadie and Noah. "School is frying my brain already, I guess I didn't drink it?"

"Oh, but Finn did," Gaten chimed in after overhearing my remarks.

I turn to him in surprise. "Did you now?" I ask Finn with a smirk as I knew Gaten was lying.

"I-I didn't I swear," Finn stuttered. It was kinda cute how his face gained a little color when I confronted him.

"Oh but he did," Levi added as he elbowed Finn in the side. "And he left a ton of backwash in it too."

"Uh, ew. I know you're lying but ew," I laughed with a disgusted expression on my face.

"I promise I didn't drink it!" Finn argued.

"It's fine," I smiled. "Sadie, Noah, let's go outside!"

The three of us walked over to the basketball courts to see if anyone was doing anything interesting, but sports weren't really our thing. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Finn walking over to the diving boards area. I tugged on Sadie's sleeve and ushered her over to a bench near the diving area that we liked to call our "special bench". It was where we always hung out when we were little. Sadie, Noah, and I sat down and talked about school and summer and other things when I heard my name being called.

"Hey Millie!" Finn yelled to me from the lifeguard chair he was sitting in with Levi.

I stood up and crossed my arms with annoyance as he had interrupted me. "What?"

"Hi," he shouted across the short distance between the chair and the bench.

"Oh, uh, hi," I blushed and turned to sit back down.

I was on my way with continuing my story when I heard my name being called again.

"Hey Millie!" Levi called out.

I ignored him.

"Finn wants to make out with you!" he continued with a laugh.

My heart stopped.

All around me I could hear the laughter of all the guys surrounding Finn by the diving boards. I looked to my friends with an extremely perplexed look on my face as I shot up from my seat and glared at Levi. I glanced at Finn, whose cheeks were the color of the tomato sauce I had eaten earlier.

"Um, ok. I, uh, ok," I stammered and sat down again.

I immedietly saw Sadie take out her phone, but I disregarded it.

My mind was racing with a million thoughts at once.

'What the heck just happened?' 'Did it mean anything?' 'Is it true?' 'Was it all a sick joke?' 'Do they know I like Finn?' 'Would Finn ever like me?'

Sadie and Noah shook me out of my thoughts by grabbing my arm and shaking it forcefully. They both had huge smiles on their faces and they both began yelling and jumping when I finally snapped out of my daze.

"What the heck was that?!" Sadie shouted.

"I know!" Noah exclaimed. "Our little Millie is gonna make out with someone!"

"Noah!" I scolded him.

"I don't know that was really random.." I added skeptically.

"Well you're not gonna do anything about it?" Sadie asked.

"Nah, I missed my chance," I replied.

"No you didn't there's always time!" Noah grinned.

"Well I mean the only thing I can think of to say is that 'I've never kissed anyone before, but I'll try my best," I shrugged sheepishly.

"Oooooh, Millie's trying to be flirty," Sadie teased and winked dramatically.

"Maybe this'll work out in your favor, I mean would you mind kissing him?" Noah questioned.

"Of course not! He's Finn freaking Wolfhard," I replied quietly, as Finn and his friends were still within earshot of our conversation.

Sadie and Noah looked at each other and broke into huge smiles once again.

"What?" I ask. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No! It's just that things for you are finally going right!" Sadie said happily.

"We're happy for you!" Noah added.

A buzz from my phone cut our conversation short. I looked to see yet another dm from Grace. My cheeks became a soft shade of pale pink and I laughed dryly as I read her message.

grace: so... i heard finn wants to make out with you

hey y'all, this is the turning point, this is where everything changes. just a note, there's not really an 'antagonist' in this story, just some negative things people say or do. grace is one of millie's besties, she just likes to tease millie about her crush on finn. hopefully you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to let me know what you thought! love you guys!