six

•the candle•

millie: ITS NOT LIKE THAT I SWEAR LEVI SAID IT

grace: goodness millie calm yourself it's a joke

millie: that doesn't mean i'm upset about it..

grace: oh really?? i'll go text finn rn about it then

millie: NONONONO just.. let me handle it i gtg

grace: ok...

I walked with Sadie and Noah over to the lanes where swim meets would happen in the summer. Coincidentally, the guys followed us and hung out by yet another lifeguard chair. Sadie had the idea that we should dip our feet in the water, as it was a pretty hot and humid day. We sat on the concrete and kicked water at each other being careful not to actually splash anyone.

"Oh look Mills a fish!" Sadie announced pointing at the water below us.

"Ah ew! No!" I squealed as it swam past. Don't get me wrong, I like fish as much as the next person, but in a man made lake where people swim? Count me out.

"Be careful or I might just push you in," Noah joked.

"No! No! No!" I yelled with a laugh. I got up and ran down the dock right past the lifeguard chair where Finn was sitting.

"Um excuse me miss, no running please!" I heard Finn shout to me.

"Do you have a problem with that?" I asked as I crossed my arms and stared at him with a mischievous look in my eye.

"I do actually, I'm gonna have to ask you to get off that dock," Finn replied with an equally devious smirk on his face.

'Make me,' I thought to say, but was then struck with an idea. "Okay, you win, I'll get off," I said. I began to take small steps towards the water, with no intention of going in.

"Millie! Wait! You're gonna-" Finn was cut off when I jumped off the short dock.

I looked back at him from the concrete ledge I was standing on that was attatched to the bottom of the dock.

"Millie?" Finn called out to me. "What? How?"

"There's a ledge here, I'm not actually in the water," I laughed.

It was beginning to get pretty hot, so I began to head inside. I looked for Noah and Sadie as I waved goodbye to Finn, but I realized they had left me to go inside already, as had Finn's friends.

Once I got back in the clubhouse, I found my table to be crowded with boys and girls who were all talking and laughing. I sat down next to Sadie and asked her what the heck was happening.

"It's spin the candle," Sadie replied with questioning in her voice.

"Why not use a bottle?" I laughed.

"I don't know, guys are weird sometimes."

I looked over at Caleb, Gaten, Levi, and now Finn as well who were gathered around a small decorative candle.

"Okay, who's next?" Gaten asked. "Caleb, spin the candle!"

"Uh, we don't actually have to kiss anyone, right?" I asked tentatively. I did not want my first kiss to be part of some stupid game.

I held my breath as Caleb spun the candle. It spun for a good thirty seconds before landing on Sadie.

"Sadie! And," Gaten announced, dragging out 'and' for dramatic effect as Levi took to spinning the candle.

It landed on Noah.

"Noah!" The boys cheered.

"Woah hold on, we can't kiss, we're too close of friends! That's just weird, uh," Sadie protested.

"Relax, there's no kissing, it's too hot and we're all too lazy to get up anyway," Caleb laughed.

'So it's basically a game of ships' I thought. 'Soah? Nah.'

Next picked were Chloe and Kendall, who laughed cause they're already best friends. After that was Levi and Sophia, Gaten and Caleb (which everyone got a big laugh out of), and Brynn and Wyatt.

As if it were fate, neither Finn nor I had been picked yet. At least until the candle landed on Finn. I glanced over at him out of the corner of my eye, wondering who he would get paired with. Honestly, I hoped it was someone I was good friends with so I wouldn't be as jealous.

"Finn! And," Gaten announced happily.

The candle spun for a while in the middle of the table until instead of waiting for it to stop like everyone else did, Levi reached out to stop it, facing me.

"Millie!" everyone at the table shouted.

My cheeks turned crimson and I had butterflies in my stomach as I looked over at Finn with confusion on my face. We both shrugged and smiled at each other before turning to our respective friends. Noah had a smile on his face bigger than I had ever seen and Sadie looked as if she was about to explode with joy. Guests began to leave the table, so I grabbed Sadie's arm and went to get more water.

"Millie Bobby Brown what the heck was that!" Sadie squealed.

"I-I don't know to be honest," I stammered. I couldn't tell if today was the best day of my life, or the worst because of how much I'd been embarrassed.

I went to grab a cup and fill it with water when I saw that the water was gone.

"Uh Sadie the water is gone," I remarked dumbfounded.

"Oh. Okay, well then just take some Sprite," Sadie replied like it was the simplest thing in the world.

"You know I don't like soda," I laughed.

"Yeah, but it's never too late to try it again. You might like it!" Sadie smiled.

"Fine," I said.

I stomped back to the table to let Sadie know how much I was not enjoying this. I even put a picture of the soda on my Snap story captioned "when there's no more water so your friend makes you drink gross soda". I continued to talk to Noah and Sadie and ignore Finn and his friends because I didn't want to cause any commotions. Suddenly, I get a Snapchat from Finn, who was sitting right next to me. I looked over at him and laughed as I opened the chat.

finn replied to millie's story
finn: no it's not

millie: yes it is soda is gross

finn: no. it's nor

millie: *not and YES IT IS

Without warning, I get a text from Sadie.
sadie: you should start a streak with him!

millie: maybe..

sadie: JUST DO IT

millie: ok....

"Hey Finn," I tapped him on the shoulder. "We should start a streak!"

Under the table, Sadie was kicking my leg with excitement. I glared at her and she smiled back.

"Okay, sure!" Finn replied. "Just a forewarning, my streaks are pretty artsy."

Yeah, right," I rolled my eyes.

"Trust me!" Finn said.

"Fine," I obliged.

heyo people what's up! i hope this story isn't too all over the place.. i'm just basing it off of a day that actually happened and i wanna make sure that it still makes sense, even if the events are a little spontaneous. we're nearing the end of the party chapters, then that's where the good drama starts. i hate to say it, but you may not like finn in future chapters... anyway love you all have a good day! 💜