"Three o' clock sharp."

I should have known this was a bad idea. Across the room Vee sat from me, the phone in one hand and a pencil in the other, a pad of paper on her knee. Distant yelling pouring from the receiver had Vee's face crimson, and mine not a shade lighter. I tapped my fingertips on my knees watching the scene in front of me. I could tell my friend began to regret her decision to help me.

"You've said that a hundred times Miss Sabrina, I know six months is a long time. But-" She was cut off by more yelling. "Okay. Okay, but look-this is a huge chance for her!" She sighed. "She's not just running off with strange men, she's traveling the world! And-no, we haven't checked her leg yet. But who's to say it's not serious enough for her to take some time off work, huh?"

I leaned back on the couch running a hand through my hair. If anyone could persuade that woman it was Vee, though even she needed a good amount of time. Escaping to the kitchen I checked the oven to see if our frozen pizza was done. Since my Chinese noodle idea was tossed out the window I had to come up with some other dinner. Besides, if Vee was willing to help me achieve the impossible in the living room, the least I could do was offer her food.

Smoke billowed into my face. The pizza was quite done, and set on the counter to cool. The sun was beginning to fall and shadows painted every wall; hid in every corner. It was surely much colder outside, and the wind wasn't helping much either. March had crept upon us like a bandit and spring was on its way. I looked outside the kitchen window. If my rare luck became reality, the scenery would look much different the next time I looked.

A sharp pain tingled from my shin to my thigh. I grasped the counter top keeping my balance, my nails digging into the wood. A numbness took over and left my muscles throbbing. It seemed as if a bag of weights had been placed on it. As soon as it had come it disappeared, and I waited a moment, panting quickly. My leg remained calm. Just in case I hobbled out to the living room and collapsed onto the couch, rubbing where the attack had struck. Vee's face was scrunched.

"I see...well, uh...what if, someone were to take her place?" My gaze shot in her direction. The nods she was giving implied Sabrina didn't like the idea. Knowing Vee, she wouldn't stop trying. "Who? Well-uh, I would be willing to do it."

"No," I whispered leaning in her direction. If a roofer of three years succumbs to a rainy surface and gets a lumbered walk as a souvenir, who's to say my lamb of a friend won't get herself killed in the process? "Don't go through all this trouble, I'll think of something."

Vee simply waved her hand. "Look. You know good and well about Hannah's injury right? Yes. Yes, oh she's not better, Ma'am." I massaged my thigh as a reflex. "You also know if she did come back to work, she'd simply be used as a caddie. Going up on roofs would endanger her life ya' know." I mulled the thought over as Vee's smile grew. She knew how to play her cards right, even if she was dealt a bad hand. The other end of the line finally grew quiet. "A substitute pack mule is surely not too difficult to find..."

My arms wrapped around Vee as tight as they could. After a full thirty minutes of negotiating the toughest egg to crack, she finally convinced Sabrina to give her an easy job, and she could use the extra money to pay off the rent. After finally pushing me away when I hesitated to let go, she stood from the couch and headed to the kitchen. Three slices of pizza were taken before I could get there and she was already seated back on the couch, chewing in content. When we both settled, I had to say.

"You really didn't have to do all that, I mean, I could have-"

"Actually I was kind of doing this for myself. Like you said, I needed to find some way to earn money to pay the rent, and I'm not gonna kiss anybody's ass first to get it. But, you're welcome I suppose. She's got a word or two to say to you when you return, by the way. Mmm, Hannah? This pizza is burnt." I sighed.

"I know." The phone rang scaring us out of our wits. I grimaced as Vee, with greasy fingers, picked up the phone.

"Hellooooo?" she sang. "Hello Mr. Carson, I was just about to call you. This is Vee, Hannah's loyal friend." I rolled my eyes, but smiled unable to argue. "No. No. No, she has not seen a doctor yet. She's changed it to be earlier because..." Her eyes narrowed while she thought how to break the news. "...she needs the next six months off to tour across the world with a band since she won a contest." I imitated the wince on her face. Bluntly, she broke it bluntly. "I will. Okay. Okay. I will certainly tell her that. Goodbye." The phone was replaced on the hook.

"Well?"

"He says have fun." I nearly choked on the pizza I was chewing and Vee laughed at me. After getting myself under control I pulled a John Bender and got up to hug her again. She didn't push me away this time. "You hear that? You got a green light!" I knew Carson wouldn't mind me taking some time off, but I had no clue he'd let me take off with a group of older men! For six months at that. Vee and I separated and she picked up her pizza again. "He shes he wnt payu norbally, but-"

"I can't understand you with your mouth full." I laughed as she exaggerated a swallow.

"I said. He says he won't pay you like he normally does, but he'll give you a sum before you leave to pay rent and groceries. Which means, I got more to back you up when you're gone!"

"But, if he knows I'm gone who does he expect will pay the amount?"

"I told him I was stayin' at your place. He doesn't know a thing about me, but says any friend of yours is a friend of his." She wiped her mouth and cleared her throat. "He's a naive fellow, ain't he?"

"He's certainly trusting of me," I said. "He knows about my injury too, probably felt bad."

"Your appointment is tomorrow?" she asked writing a few notes on the notepad. I watched the pencil scribble and scratch the surface. My leg throbbed, but not nearly as much after the attack in the kitchen. The last obstacle to maneuver around, and it was attached to my own body. Unless the doctor deemed it better than it felt on the inside, my journey would be cut right in the throat.

"Three o' clock sharp."