Stolen -- Chapter 10

Masahiro stood examining his features in the mirror, the dim lighting of his bedroom highlighting his skin. His skin was pale and his sapphire eyes were ringed with dark circles, due to a lack of sleep and a recurring issue of overwork.

He had never expected to face such an odd, erratic rejection from his sweetheart. The whole incident regarding Reiji Sakamaki reminded him that she may never be available to him if he was too slow. So, he made the move.

-

"C-Coffee? I-I hate coffee! Th-that's right! I'm allergic! Ask Maria! She-she loves coffee! Goodbye!"

-

With that she stood, exited his office, and refused to even glance towards him.

It simply meant he would have to try again. For her, he was willing. The clear obsession her friend had developed for him, he would just have to manoeuvre around that.

Releasing the choke-hold his necktie had on him, he fell onto his backside with a weary sigh.

He could remember the day he had fallen in love with her.

It had taken him only a short while; the moment he received her files, encasing a most peculiar tale filled with promotions and youthful hope. That momentum stopped dead.

Out of curiosity, he observed her. He saw her smile, laugh, frown - he was quick to discover that a person existed beneath all the success.

Today, that person was who inspired him. To have her in his arms, would be a miracle and a gift.

A miracle he was determined to create.

-

I hadn't seen the office entryway on such an early morning since my first day, I thought bitterly.

The events that marked yesterday's timeline had frightened away any sleep I searched for last night. The desire to alleviate this fatigue faded away, and in irritation I gave in and headed to work early.

It was barely morning. The streets, not deserted but close enough - for Tokyo, anyway. The office doors were locked, and would not open for another half hour when Reiji and his parade of assistants turned up, still an hour earlier than nine o'clock start.

Now, as the lack of sleep finally set in to my bones, I sat against the staircase and shut my eyes against the sunlight.

The throbbing of my temple, coupled with the horrid illness in my gut, sent me back to that time.

--

"...(First Name)."

I blinked back the tears stinging my eyes, fighting the stream of light that hit them.

He sighed, unlatching the firm hand attached to my shoulder.

"Thought you died."

I scoffed.

"No. Just a hangover. I have to work today, we shouldn't have stayed up so late," I uttered, pushing strands of sweat-sticky hair behind my ear.

He draped his arms around my waist lazily, his sweet warmth emptying my mind of thoughts for just a moment.

"It was worth it, wasn't it? We had fun last night."

I frowned, slapping away his hands.

"Shut it. Shuu."

---

I awoke from my nap to a sharp pain in my arm. Quick to adjust, I turned to identify the source.

"Who?" I mumbled. Whoever it was had a firm grasp on my arm, and was dragging me towards a sleek limousine parked on the sidewalk.

"Hey--stop!"

I grounded myself and tugged, trying desperately to reclaim my limb. Glancing up towards the tinted windows of the limo, I recognised scarlet irises - barely visible, their luminosity gave him away.

The door opened and I was swallowed up.

Masahiro froze at the door of his vehicle, unable to decipher what he had just witnessed.